Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pooling BACs

What is the preferred method of pooling BACs for sequencing using 454? We are pooling 48 BACs across 4 lanes. We have an idea of the individual BAC sizes (and they differ considerably). Is it better to have like sizes together in the same lane, or rather ensure that the average KB size is similar for each of the 4 lanes.

Good question, I'll be watching for an informed answer... (I'm a noob).
    The king of reverse takeovers, get the scoop here.

Comment

Are you sure you are doing 454 sequencing? The term "lane" is usually reserved for Illumina sequencing.

The most important thing is to ensure you don't pool any two BACs which could be similar at the DNA level! Otherwise you won't be able to untangle them in the de novo assembly stage.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Torst. I am very new to NGS so am not yet "fluent in the lingo"... Your are correct re the lanes, what I meant is that a bunch of BACs are being pooled in 1/4 lane - we will be doing a whole plate though. All individual BACs will be tagged so will be able to determine which BAC the reads originated from.

What I am trying to understand is whether there is a logical way of pooling BACs to ensure that there is little bias in coverage of individual BACs. ie if we have a BAC that is 50kb in the same pool as one that is 150kb, should we adjust the amount of either BAC within the pool? Otherwise is it a better idea to sort all the BACs on size and put 'like sizes' into the same pool?

This might be a petty adjustment and not require a second thought, just wanted to hear from the experts...

Comment

I haven't done this, but trying to balance the pools by BAC size (including the vector) would seem like the way to go. That would balance your expected number of reads for each BAC.

Comment

We can assume there is a fixed number of reads available to each pool ie. a 1/4 plate worth of reads.

Within a pool, the number of reads a particular BAC gets is proportional to its size.

So, as Keith says, you would probably want to ensure that the sum of BAC sizes in each pool was similar between pools.

(Sorry I missed that each BAC is tagged/barcoded - in that case my response about keeping similar-DNA BACs separate doesn't matter.)

So I guess you are using four pools instead of one is so you can reuse the tags/barcodes in each pool?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses