Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how ro see adapter contamination in Illumina reads

I have illumina read file..which is bacterial DNA sequence...I have used geneious software to assembly it, while assembly I have found that there was vector contamination and it was removed by software since I have given trimming option and I got 1,610 contigs.

but now I am performing the same assembly by using velvet. I have my fastqc report and according to that report sequence duplication level is bad, overrepresented sequences and kmer content showing warning. (I have attached these three files) So, I reached to conclusion that I have adapter contamination on the basis of the sequence I have got in overrepresented sequences. I have seen that GATCGGAAGAGC is adapter contamination because I have seen it in adapter files provided to custmoer given by illumina technology.

Problem is my PI asked me to find that adaptor contamination sequence in my reads, which I was not able to So, he asked me que. that why can't u find it?? I am new to de novo assembly, I dont know what am I supposed to answer and he gave me 1 hrs. to find it. Please help!!!

Originally posted by paa6 View Post
    I have illumina read file..which is bacterial DNA sequence...I have used geneious software to assembly it, while assembly I have found that there was vector contamination and it was removed by software since I have given trimming option and I got 1,610 contigs.

but now I am performing the same assembly by using velvet. I have my fastqc report and according to that report sequence duplication level is bad, overrepresented sequences and kmer content showing warning. (I have attached these three files) So, I reached to conclusion that I have adapter contamination on the basis of the sequence I have got in overrepresented sequences. I have seen that GATCGGAAGAGC is adapter contamination because I have seen it in adapter files provided to custmoer given by illumina technology.

Problem is my PI asked me to find that adaptor contamination sequence in my reads, which I was not able to So, he asked me que. that why can't u find it?? I am new to de novo assembly, I dont know what am I supposed to answer and he gave me 1 hrs. to find it. Please help!!!
    try
    Code:
    $ grep -c 'GATCGGAAGAGC' reads.fastq
    $ grep -c reads.fastq | awk '{print $1/4}'
    then you will get an estimation of the contaminant ratio.

for adapter trimming, I suggest using skewer. For your case, you don't need to specify the adapter sequence since it's the same as the default TruSeq3 adapter sequence.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by relipmoc View Post
      try
      Code:
      $ grep -c 'GATCGGAAGAGC' reads.fastq
      $ grep -c reads.fastq | awk '{print $1/4}'
      then you will get an estimation of the contaminant ratio.

for adapter trimming, I suggest using skewer. For your case, you don't need to specify the adapter sequence since it's the same as the default TruSeq3 adapter sequence.

Good luck!
      THanks for the quick reply!! I have typed $ grep -c 'GATCGGAAGAGC' reads.fastq
      and I got 28875..what is this mean??
      also I am doing SE assembly while skewer is for PE...
      Last edited by paa6; 03-09-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

You can type grep --help for a brief description of OPTIONS for grep.

-c, --count only print a count of matching lines per FILE
        The result you got was 28875, suggesting that 28875 reads contained the substring of 'GATCGGAAGAGC' - which is most likely adapter contamination.

Comment

Originally posted by yueluo View Post
          you can type grep --help for a brief description of options for grep.

The result you got was 28875, suggesting that 28875 reads contained the substring of 'gatcggaagagc' - which is most likely adapter contamination.
          ohh ok thanks!!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses