Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does MACS2 treat paired-end reads?

Hi all,
    I cannot find good documentation on MACS2 and I do not understand how it treats paired-end data. I can see that I can use -f BAMPE to indicate that the reads are paired but I am not convinced that it is really using that information. I have removed all duplicates by pair but MACS2 is reporting that I still have 38% duplication which is what you would find if you only looked at one end of the pair, not both. Is anyone else having this same experience? I have tried both sorted and unsorted bam files in which the mates appear together.
    Thanks!
    Lynn

follow-up

Okay, so I can see that it is using the pair information because the peaks seem to span areas that lack reads but which are spanned by the insert length of the pair. Still, this duplication estimate is not correct.
    Lynn

Comment

Hi,

I think the following answer by the author himself might help:
      "In BAM mode, only the 5’ end of fragment will be recorded. In BAMPE mode, the 5’ end plus the observed template length will both be recorded so in later analysis, MACS2 piles up the actual entire observed fragment/template instead of estimating a fixed DNA fragment length. Technically, MACS2 will pick only the alignment with flag indicating it’s the first segment in template and both ends have been properly aligned, then read the TLEN value then take the absolute value."

from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!se...E/TUjLeQtsCfkJ

I hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses