Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampure upper size limit?

Does anyone know if there is an upper size limitation to the DNA that will precipitate and be bound by Ampure XP beads? I'm specifically thinking of cleaning up Phi29 WGA reactions and long cDNAs.

"The size of fragments eluted from the beads (or that bind in the first place) is determined by the concentration of PEG, and this in turn is determined by the mix of DNA and beads. A 50ul DNA sample plus 50ul of beads will give a SPRINA ratio of 1, as will 5ul pipetting (but much harder to get right). As this ratio is changed the length of fragments binding and/or left in solution also changes, the lower the ratio of SPRINA the higher larger the final fragments will be at elution"

Maybe this link can be of help
    Someone recently asked me, “how do SPRI beads work” and I realized I was not completely sure so I went to find out. My lab uses kits. Lots...

BW

Roberta

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but that's not exactly what I'm asking. Since the beads are typically used for PCR cleanup and size-selection of small fragments, I wondered if larger molecules of DNA, like 15-100kb, are efficiently bound to the beads and are efficiently eluted.

Comment

I've never seen fragments >700 bp with Ampure beads, I guess you could try lowering the Beads: DNA ratio (titrate maybe?) and run the elute on a gel and check the max size you manage to get

Comment

HMW products will bind just fine, in fact you'll see the beads clump dramatically with WGA products. You will have problems eluting them so incubate for a while, pipet a bunch and/or vortex.

Comment

Very cool--do you actully use them for WGA products?

Comment

It works for genomic DNA. I now use SPRI beads for extracting genomic DNA either directly from proK-SDS digested tissue or from the supernatant cleaned by phenol-chloroform.

Comment

I'll echo ECO and melop in saying that I've tried SPRI beads (Ampure and Seramag speedbeads) to clean up WGA products as well as genomic DNA from home-brew library prep and genomic DNA extraction protocols. As ECO mentioned, they do tend to clump and stick together with higher molecular weight fragments. It might help slightly if you avoid drying the bead pellet till it cracks. Longer elution times (I often incubate overnight at 4 Celsius for genomics extracts) and a small amount of Tween-20 seems to help elute more of the bound DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by ATϟGC View Post
                  I'll echo ECO and melop in saying that I've tried SPRI beads (Ampure and Seramag speedbeads) to clean up WGA products as well as genomic DNA from home-brew library prep and genomic DNA extraction protocols. As ECO mentioned, they do tend to clump and stick together with higher molecular weight fragments. It might help slightly if you avoid drying the bead pellet till it cracks. Longer elution times (I often incubate overnight at 4 Celsius for genomics extracts) and a small amount of Tween-20 seems to help elute more of the bound DNA.
                  Yes - I agree. Didn't add tween 20 so recovery is probably lower than optimal, but it's more than enough for what I need so can't complain. Attached is a gel picture of genomic DNA extracted directly after SDS + proteinase K digestion without phenol-chloroform wash from a small piece of fish finclip (1mm x 4 mm). RNA is co-purified because I didn't treat with RNase. Qubit shows a yield of 1.5-2.5 ug per extract.
                  Attached Files

Comment

genomic with spri beads

I know this thread is old but I'm hoping Melop could tell me the ratio of sample to beads used for genomic DNA purification. I looked around online and since the protocols aren't designed for DNA this size I haven't found any suggestions.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by urchin View Post
                      I know this thread is old but I'm hoping Melop could tell me the ratio of sample to beads used for genomic DNA purification. I looked around online and since the protocols aren't designed for DNA this size I haven't found any suggestions.
                      Thanks.
                      You can do as low as 0.6X beads. I usually use 1X. It usually doesn't matter too much for genomic extracts. I also keep the beads in, they don't affect with PCR or library prep.

Comment

Hi melop,
                        What are your elution conditions?
                        --
                        Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                          Hi melop,
                          What are your elution conditions?
                          --
                          Phillip
                          I elute in 30ul of Tris pH=8.0. I pipette it until the beads get re-suspended, and directly used that mixture for down-stream workflows without removing the beads.

If you want to remove the beads, incubate at 37C overnight.

Comment

Ah. So the genomic DNA stays attached to the beads, but still works fine for downstream manipulation. Interesting...

--
                            Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                              Ah. So the genomic DNA stays attached to the beads, but still works fine for downstream manipulation. Interesting...

--
                              Phillip

This does work, but the beads will inhibit some reactions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses