SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remove Illumina TruSeq Index adapters enrico16 Bioinformatics 0 01-14-2015 01:56 AM
Defining custom index length on IEM naamash Illumina/Solexa 5 10-02-2013 11:25 PM
Custom dual index adapters...dark cycles unnecessary? koadman Illumina/Solexa 13 04-24-2012 12:10 AM
Custom SOLID Adapters for RNA-Seq nbogard SOLiD 2 12-01-2011 07:19 PM
custom adenylated adapters Bioo Scientific Vendor Forum 0 10-30-2009 03:03 PM

Old 05-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #1
Ingeneious

Default Custom Index Adapters

How would I verify whether custom adapters have annealed properly? I get odd results when trying to quantify using QuBit, PicoGreen or TapeStation. Since the majority of the adapter is still single stranded, is there even a way to tell?
Ingeneious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #2
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

As you have done, Qubit or PicoGreen is the easiest and very informative. With increasing annealing efficiency you should see increasing value in concentration of dsDNA. I regularly use this method as a QC for adapters with full length or partial length complimentary regions to ensure batch to batch consistency. Obviously, adapters with short complimentary region will have lower florescence, but it is sensitive enough to discriminate between annealed and non-annealed oligos. One also can calculate theoretical expected concentration for partially or completely complimentary oligos for any given annealing efficiency.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
jwfoley

You could also try denaturing them to see how much that reduces their fluorescence with a dsDNA-specific dye.
jwfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
Ingeneious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucacidhunter View Post
As you have done, Qubit or PicoGreen is the easiest and very informative. With increasing annealing efficiency you should see increasing value in concentration of dsDNA. I regularly use this method as a QC for adapters with full length or partial length complimentary regions to ensure batch to batch consistency. Obviously, adapters with short complimentary region will have lower florescence, but it is sensitive enough to discriminate between annealed and non-annealed oligos. One also can calculate theoretical expected concentration for partially or completely complimentary oligos for any given annealing efficiency.
What kind of values have you seen with say a full TruSeq adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfoley View Post
You could also try denaturing them to see how much that reduces their fluorescence with a dsDNA-specific dye.
That's a good idea. I tried something similar by comparing the annealed(?) product versus an equimolar mixture of unannealed oligos. With a Qubit dsDNA BR kit it did not seem to make a difference - they all seemed to generate a similar value. With PicoGreen I believe I received roughly double the concentration. However, even the individual ssDNA oligos generated a value.
Ingeneious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

Quote:
What kind of values have you seen with say a full TruSeq adapter?
I have not done exact math. Using 10 uM (each) 40 base long adapter oligos with full complimentary bases across oligos I get around 70 ng/ul with PicoGreen and for 10 uM 30 base long oligos with 14 complimentary nucleotides 30 ng/ul.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote