Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De novo transcriptome assembly using Trinity but for single-end reads?

Hi everyone =)

A colleague of mine advised me to create a de novo transcriptome assembly for my reads in sheep (because sheep annotations suck) but we couldn't find a way on the internet to do it for single-end reads. All of them were for paired-end and started by aligning Fw and Rv reads, so we're not quite sure how we should do it.

Have you done it before?

Cheers,

Seb.
    Last edited by Sebastian_Quezada_R; 08-29-2016, 08:34 PM.

Trinity will work with single-end reads (use argument '--single'), it's just a bit better with paired-end, and even better with stranded reads. Paired ends can help to resolve different isoforms, and there are some instances where transcripts can overlap on opposite strands.

Comment

Before going to the trouble of doing your own transcriptome assembly I'd test just how much the current annotations suck. The most recent Ensembl genebuild for sheep has ~21,000 coding genes and ~6,000 non coding. Map your read data to the genome and see what percentage of your reads map within annotated genes. Also, since a genome sequence exists you may consider using a reference guided transcriptome assembly instead of de novo.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
        Trinity will work with single-end reads (use argument '--single'), it's just a bit better with paired-end, and even better with stranded reads. Paired ends can help to resolve different isoforms, and there are some instances where transcripts can overlap on opposite strands.
        Thanks =) That worked awesome

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
        Before going to the trouble of doing your own transcriptome assembly I'd test just how much the current annotations suck. The most recent Ensembl genebuild for sheep has ~21,000 coding genes and ~6,000 non coding. Map your read data to the genome and see what percentage of your reads map within annotated genes. Also, since a genome sequence exists you may consider using a reference guided transcriptome assembly instead of de novo.
        Which program would you recommend to be the best for that? I might do the reference guided transcriptome assembly afterwards if this doesn't work out.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Reference-guided Trinity for sheep should be fine (see here), and would improve your transcriptome assembly. The main issue with that is that you won't see any reads that aren't supported by the genome, but the sheep assembly should be comprehensive enough that you shouldn't have any problems. At least, that's the impression I got from James Kijas today when he was talking about it at QRW.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
            Reference-guided Trinity for sheep should be fine (see here), and would improve your transcriptome assembly. The main issue with that is that you won't see any reads that aren't supported by the genome, but the sheep assembly should be comprehensive enough that you shouldn't have any problems. At least, that's the impression I got from James Kijas today when he was talking about it at QRW.
            Thanks for that =)!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses