No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FASTQC reports

Hello everyone,

I just received a set of sequences from an RNA-Seq experiment.
    Illumina HiSeq 2000, pair-end sequencing was performed.

Quality of R1 sequences look good, but R2 not so... (please, see attached reports as an example). R2 shows a lot of biased.

My question is how to proceed with these data? Do I need to ask the Genomic platform to resequence, or I can just treat the R2 sequences in order to get rid of the bad quality nucleotides? I am thinking that I could just trim 5 nts at the 5' end and 25 at the 3'end and then continuing with mapping and DEG analysis.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

R2 does not show any bias, your sequencing centre should explain why the R2 quality is so low. My guess is that they have over clustered or had chemistry/instrument issues.

Comment

Hi buthercup_ch,
      The FastQC reports suggest that overall quality of reads are okay, and there are no known adapter/contaminants. Since re-sequencing will cost you extra, I would suggest to give a try to use this data for DEG analysis.
      You can try to remove the bad quality bases using tools like cutadapt setting -q 30. Ask the sequencing center which adapter or primers they have used, and use that information to trim the reads. Then, re-run FastQC on this filtered data set, and see if you get better set of reads to proceed further.
      Persistent LABS

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your comments.

I agree trimming will improve the overall quality of the reads set.
        But what about the Quality per tile diagram? It is the first time I face such a pattern, with those thick red areas all over the reads.
        What might be the deleterious effect of such a pattern? Is it not so fatal effect?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by buthercup_ch View Post
          Hello,

But what about the Quality per tile diagram? It is the first time I face such a pattern, with those thick red areas all over the reads.
          What might be the deleterious effect of such a pattern? Is it not so fatal effect?

Thanks again
          It appears that some tiles consistently dropped out over the course of the run (red lines). There may have been bubbles stuck in those positions. That should not affect the rest of your data. The facility that produced this data should have QC'ed the flowcell, so we will assume the rest of the lanes were ok and there was no technical problem with the run.

Just trim the first 2 bp (mainly because you have N's in position 2). Most of the data is still Q15 and above. See what you get in terms of alignment before you start doing additional trimming.

Comment

Hello GenoMax,

The procedures in the Core Facility are in fact slightly dark for me.
            Nevertheless, thanks for your comments and advised. At first, analysis was carried out trimming the first 3 nt and alignments looked rather good. We are now performing an additional trimming up to the first 5 nt, and will see if anything is improved.
            I was hesitating in trimming any bp at the end of the reads, but finally decided not to do it, as the Q scores are, as you say, not soooo bad (still Q>15), and the overall interquantile is over Q=20.

Comment

3 nt at beginning should be plenty. Sounds like otherwise everything looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by buthercup_ch View Post
                Hello,

Thanks again
                Simon Andrews has talked about the possible types of errors introduced during sequencing that might cause the tile plot to appear abnormal.
                Here is the link which might help you to understand your case: https://sequencing.qcfail.com/articl...-of-flowcells/
                Persistent LABS

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses