SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Pacific Biosciences

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HGAP assembly through Amazon (smrt analyses) tony_mane Pacific Biosciences 1 09-25-2017 04:24 AM
HGAP.3 protocol in the SMRT 2.3 --failing rachita Pacific Biosciences 8 08-22-2016 01:17 PM
Help: de novo assembly using SMRT portal and hgap.3 nwfungi Pacific Biosciences 6 03-01-2016 01:09 PM
Diary: Assembly in SMRT Portal 2.1.1 with HGAP+CA 8.1 pag Pacific Biosciences 20 09-06-2014 10:20 AM
HGAP Parameters in SMRT Analysis bonifera Pacific Biosciences 7 10-24-2013 02:10 PM

Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
cement_head

Default SMRT Link 7.0 - HGAP

Has anyone gotten the HGAP assembler to work? It seems that it just barfs at different places constantly. Doesn't seem to be very robust at all.

I've used CANU before, so I'm going to try to go back to that...

What about the wtdbg2assembler?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My mistake - a corrupted downloaded data file was the culprit; should have checked the mdm5 checksum before starting!

Last edited by cement_head; 10-06-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: correction
cement_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

What kind of genome are you trying to assemble? I usually go with flye as a first pass (fast, memory efficient) and then Canu if flye underperforms (they seem to trade off which gives a better assembly in our hands). wtdbg2 is fun to try a quick check but I don't think it is as feature complete as flye or canu.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
cement_head

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPsaurus View Post
What kind of genome are you trying to assemble? I usually go with flye as a first pass (fast, memory efficient) and then Canu if flye underperforms (they seem to trade off which gives a better assembly in our hands). wtdbg2 is fun to try a quick check but I don't think it is as feature complete as flye or canu.
Well, figured it out - was a corrupted file from the download!

Wood Frog Genome - 6 Gbp

Got it working, but it barfs as it wants to fo a 30x coverage and from the RAW reads, it comes up a few thousand short. Would the SEED COVERAGE parameter (in the Advanced tab) be the one I would want to change? From say 30 to 25? (Just to get a rough assembly?) I'm waiting on HiSeq data to do a combined ONT + Pac Bio + HiSeq assembly in CANU.

Last edited by cement_head; 10-06-2019 at 07:10 AM. Reason: clarification
cement_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
SNPsaurus
Registered Vendor

Oh my, that's a big one. How much memory is it using?

If you just want a rough assembly, I would do wtdbg2 as you can get a sense of contig lengths without consensus generation. I've done flye with 10X read coverage (to look at how much is chloroplast and bacteria in a dirty sample) and it didn't protest. Sorry, haven't used HGAP.

Tags
canu, hgap, wtdbg2