Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment to a set of custom reference sequences along with standard genome reference

Hi there - any help appreciated here, I'm a relative newbie to NGS evaluation.

I'd like to be able to detect low level deletions of 15bp (or more) in an amplicon-enrichment based assay. We are using Novoalign for alignment, followed by samtools and varscan for variant ID. This all works find up to ~6bp.

I have tried pindel etc. with limited success. As the deletions we are looking for are relatively recurrent, I was thinking of trying a synthetic reference approach. I'm unclear how I can integrate this alignment strategy with our alternative standard reference alignment.

I'd prefer to create a single fasta file as a reference, but for all of the short synthetic deletion sequences I append (one per record), I'd like to preserve their original chromosomal position etc.

Am I dreaming?

Any help or other recommendations much appreciated!

You can of course make a reference file that has multiple sequences in it, so you can append previously discovered deletions into your fasta, and then if your reads align to those sequences, you will see them.

But making their coordinates match is not feasible, and I don't see why it's necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by swbarnes2 View Post
      You can of course make a reference file that has multiple sequences in it, so you can append previously discovered deletions into your fasta, and then if your reads align to those sequences, you will see them.

But making their coordinates match is not feasible, and I don't see why it's necessary.
      Thanks for your input. I am hoping to preserve the coordinates to enable visualization and annotation without too much deviation from our standard practice.

Comment

Originally posted by eeyun View Post

I'd like to be able to detect low level deletions of 15bp (or more) in an amplicon-enrichment based assay. We are using Novoalign for alignment, followed by samtools and varscan for variant ID. This all works find up to ~6bp.

I have tried pindel etc. with limited success. As the deletions we are looking for are relatively recurrent, I was thinking of trying a synthetic reference approach. I'm unclear how I can integrate this alignment strategy with our alternative standard reference alignment.

I'd prefer to create a single fasta file as a reference, but for all of the short synthetic deletion sequences I append (one per record), I'd like to preserve their original chromosomal position etc.

Am I dreaming?

Pindel should find large deletions. can you pass your data to me to take a look?

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by eeyun View Post

Am I dreaming?

Hi @eeyun,

You may try the Subread aligner (http://subread.sourceforge.net) which can detect up to 16 bp indels.

Cheers
          Wei

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses