Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to calculate organism relative abundance from Illumina metagenomic data?

I have got pair-end metagenomic data (2 x 100bp) generated by Illumina Hiseq 2000 of several samples. Human sequences have been removed and I aligned the rest reads to bacteria reference genomes. I want to calculate organism content (namely, relative abundance) of each sample so that I can use this information in further comparative metagenomics analysis.

The question is how to calculate organism relative abundance from the rest reads. Note that different samples may have different sequencing levels, normalization may be needed. I need organism relative abundance that could correct for different sequencing levels in these samples. Is there a software which can handle this?

p.s.:Qin's paper entitled 'A human gut microbial gene catalogue established by metagenomic sequencing' talks about how relative abundance was calculted, however, there is no much detail provided. It's quite confusing.

As I am building my own analysis pipline, online resources might not fit for me.

take a look at metaphlan. you may need more to normalize things but it might be a good starting point.

Also,

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Metaphlan is quite excellent and I will try it out.

Question 1: In addition to Bacteria and Archaea, has Metaphlan already covered virus and fungi? (As I have no access to its original Nature Methods paper, I have to ask the question here?)

Question 2: Can Metaphlan handle pair-end sequences?

Comment

Originally posted by rnaeye View Post
        take a look at metaphlan. you may need more to normalize things but it might be a good starting point.

Also,
        http://qiime.org/
        Thanks for your reply.

Metaphlan is quite excellent and I will try it out.

Question 1: In addition to Bacteria and Archaea, has Metaphlan already covered virus and fungi? (As I have no access to its original Nature Methods paper, I have to ask the question here?)

Question 2: Can Metaphlan handle pair-end sequences?

Comment

Hi, I don't understand how is calculated the abundance in Metaphlan.
          Someone can explain to me please ?

Comment

I think they have Nature Methods paper published on it. I believe they are mapping to unique regions of each species. It may not give very accurate information on absolute and relative levels. I am no expert in the field though.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses