SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dbSNP frequencies JohnK Bioinformatics 2 12-05-2013 08:36 AM
dbSNP download ddaneels Bioinformatics 3 01-24-2013 02:06 PM
IGV-dbSNP paolo.kunder Bioinformatics 2 02-20-2012 11:15 PM
dbSNP question boetsie Bioinformatics 0 02-15-2011 04:01 AM
The meaning of the figures in specification table Michael L. Altshuler Illumina/Solexa 0 05-29-2010 07:02 AM

Old 06-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Applemelon

Default What is the specification of dbSNP?

I downloaded from NCBI dbSNP a file, whose format is something like fasta. Here is one example:

>gnl|dbSNP|ss244318098 ss=244318098|pos=394|len=894|handle="BGI"|subid="Gm01-394"|taxid=3847|mol="Genomic"|class=1|alleles="A/C"
GGTTTGGTGTTTGGGTTTTAGGTTTTAGGTTTTAGGTTTTACGGTTTAGGGTTTATGGTTTATGGTTTAGGGTTTAGGGT
TAGGAAATAATTTGGGTCTTTCATCTTTCAACAAAAAATTAAGGGATTTAGAGTAATTTTTAGGGTTTAGGGTTTAAGGT
TTTAGGTTTCGGGTTTGGGTTTTAGATTTTACGGCTTACGGTTTAAAGTTTAGGGGTTAGGGTTTAGGGTTTAGAAATAA
ATTTGAGTGTTTGACATTTGAACACAAAATTAAGGCATTTAGAGTCATTTTTAGGGTTTACGGTTTAGGGTTTAGCAAGA
AATTTCGGTGTTTCATCTTCGAACACAAAATTAAGGCAGTTAAAGTCTTTTTTTGGGTTTAGGGTTTAGGGTT
M
TTTGCCTGGGTGTGCCAGTGGCGTGAGCAAATGGAGGGCGGCCATTTCTCATGTTTGGACGTCAAAGAACCCATAAAAAA
TAGTCCTGTTCCCCGGTTTCGTCAACTAACACGTAAAAACAATGCCTTAACACAAAATTAAGGCATTTAGAGGCATTTTT
AGGGTTTACGGTTTAGGGTTTACCAAGAAATTTCGGTGTTTCATCTTTGAACACAAAATTAAGGCAGTTAAAGTCTTTTT

I was confused by "class=1 in the header and "M" in the body. What are their meanings? How to transfer this format to VCF format? I can't find VCF file of soybean. Thank you very much.
Applemelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
ulz_peter

The lonesome "M" in the middle of the text is IUPAC Ambiguity Code. This is used if you want to state that two or more bases are likely to be in the same position. In this case the letter M is short for aMino, which means there can be either C or A at that position.

I don't think it is possible to generate a VCF file from just having this position, since it neither states a chromsome nor a position for that SNP, which is necessary for creating a VCF.

If you've got a lot of time you might align those seuqences and then annotate the missing infomration to get a VCF file, but there might be easier solutions for that
ulz_peter is offline   Reply With Quote