No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single-cell RNA-seq with ERCC RNA Spike-In

Hi all,
    I recently came across some single-cell rna-seq experiment, in which people always recommand using ERCC spike-ins for normalization. And I just wonder how much spike-ins should be added per cell, 1ul 1:5,000,000 diluted from original stock? And also how you guys keep these easy-degraded synthetic RNA on your hands? As super diluted RNA is not that stable even in -80C, I am afraid Also, there are two options, the regular one and the Exfold one, which one you guys prefer?

Wish you guys a happy new year

Gary
    Last edited by kobeho24; 12-30-2015, 07:39 PM.

Single cell RNA-Seq without ERCC spike-ins

Hi!

This is a bit off-topic, and somewhat blatant self-advertising, but for what it's worth, we developed a method -- preparing it for publication, draft going on biorxiv soon -- to deal with single cell RNA-seq without ERCC spike-ins.

Here's some info on it http://genestack.com/single-cell-rnaseq/ and a bit more here https://genestack.com/blog/2014/09/2...ysis-tutorial/.

The method is available on Genestack.

--Misha
    P.S. I'm the founder of Genestack, happy to answer questions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ostolop View Post
      Hi!

This is a bit off-topic, and somewhat blatant self-advertising, but for what it's worth, we developed a method -- preparing it for publication, draft going on biorxiv soon -- to deal with single cell RNA-seq without ERCC spike-ins.

Here's some info on it http://genestack.com/single-cell-rnaseq/ and a bit more here https://genestack.com/blog/2014/09/2...ysis-tutorial/.

The method is available on Genestack.

--Misha
      P.S. I'm the founder of Genestack, happy to answer questions etc.
      Hi Misha,
      From my point of view, technical noise in single cell experiment such as PCR bias should always be taken into account. As far as I know, ERCC and UMI are the only two options we have to defeat the technical noise to some degree. And I am not sure that the issue can be solved in a bioinformatic manner. Anyway, thank you for your reply. I will take a look at it and see if there is any excellent information for future reference.

Best,
      Gary

Comment

Hi Gary,

You're absolutely right -- if you *have* spike-ins, it makes your experiment design more meaningful. We implemented methods that make use of spike-ins, of course, that goes without saying.

We ended up designing and implementing a non-parametric noise-reduction method because we got tasked with processing a dataset that didn't have spike-ins, ERCC or UMI...

We then tested our method on the Brennecke dataset and got high concordance! So, we know it works well..

--Misha

Comment

Ostolop - I'd be curious to see what the pros/cons of your platform vs. Seven Bridges vs. DNANexus, etc.... Seems like more and more groups are moving to single-cell analysis with the use of monocle and other public apps.

Comment

Dear all,

I am preparing single-cell libraries according to the method described in Macaulay I, et al. G&T-seq: Parallel sequencing of single-cell genomes and transcriptomes. Nature Methods, 2015.

The amplified cDNA seems to look fine on the tapestation when I add no ERCC spike-in controls.

But I get strange double peaks when I add the controls and the tapestation screentape gets overloaded. The paper says to use 1 μl of a 1:250,000 dilution and I went up to 1:500,000 and 1:1,000,000 but get the same results.

The project leader tells me to just dilute more and more but I am suspicous that this won’t solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any hints!
            Conny
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Conradona View Post
              Dear all,

I am preparing single-cell libraries according to the method described in Macaulay I, et al. G&T-seq: Parallel sequencing of single-cell genomes and transcriptomes. Nature Methods, 2015.

The amplified cDNA seems to look fine on the tapestation when I add no ERCC spike-in controls.

But I get strange double peaks when I add the controls and the tapestation screentape gets overloaded. The paper says to use 1 μl of a 1:250,000 dilution and I went up to 1:500,000 and 1:1,000,000 but get the same results.

The project leader tells me to just dilute more and more but I am suspicous that this won’t solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for any hints!
              Conny
              Hi Conradona,

Recently, I am working with single cell pick with Smart-seq2 method and encounter the same problem as you. Without adding ERCC, the fragment analyzer shows good quality of amplified cDNA. However, after adding ERCC into lysis buffer, a strange double peaks appears as you said, even the same as negative control.

Could you tell how you solve this problem in the end?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.
              Alex

Comment

Spliced spike-in RNA standards (sequins)

Dear all,

Also a bit of self-advertising - but we have developed a new set of RNA spike in controls (we call them sequins) that can be used in single-cell RNA sequencing instead of ERCCs.

Unlike ERCCs, they are modeled on human genes, so they include spliced alternative isoforms. Additionally, they have been prepared with care to provide a tighter reference ladder, wider dynamic range, and no-thaw manufacture (to ensure full length transcripts).

They are free for non-profit research, and we can send as much as you need for your experiments. Order them from at www.sequin.xyz/order

We also describe them in detail in the following Nature Methods paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/nmeth.3958

Hope they help!
                Tim.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses