No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA degradation - gill tissue

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has experience extracting DNA from fish gills (and the microbes associated with them)? I have been trying to extract genomic DNA from the gills of some fish heads that we obtained from a local fish market. When I run a gel to check the yield/quality of the DNA, there is no hmw DNA visible and little or no lmw DNA (<100bp). I have seen in the literature that DNA has been successfully extracted from canned tuna and from other retail fish sources.

I was expecting to see some evidence of DNA degradation, as we do not know how long the fish had been dead for before we sampled the tissue, but it seems strange to me that I did not see any larger DNA fragments whatsoever. I would have thought that I would have at least got something out of whatever live microbes were associated with the gills at the time of sampling? Sampled tissues were stored at -20C. I have repeated the extraction with tissue homogenisation performed on ice and have included a control sample of Drosophila adults to confirm that our reagents etc are ok.

I know that samples like this can be tricky to work with, and often have a high load of DNases, but it seems unrealistic to me that all the DNA would have degraded, especially given that DNA is widely used in forensic biology?
    I would be grateful to get people's opinions this.

Thank you

Do you pre-stain (include the dye in the agarose) or post-stain your gel? If the former it is possible that you just have a lot of degraded DNA, or RNA, that effectively "de-stained" your gel as it ran, sweeping away all the dye, leaving none to bind higher molecular weight DNA. However this is only likely if the low molecular weight stuff looks very bright.

But, also, if your DNA prep doesn't do a good job of inactivating all the DNAses in the gill cells, all your DNA may, in fact, have been degraded.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses