Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq2 with replicates no sig padj

So I am running data analysis on count data using DESeq2. I have three biological replicates for each condition. My results show significant p values but no padj values other than 1, even with very low pval. How can I troubleshoot? Truncated data set attached.

setwd("C:/Users/Melissa Randel/Desktop")
    library( "DESeq" )
    theta = 0.3
    Fname_pos = "trunc_DESeq_out"

CountTable3L_pos = read.table("counts_table.txt")
    Design3L_pos = data.frame( row.names = colnames( CountTable3L_pos ), condition = c( "untreated", "untreated", "untreated", "treated", "treated", "treated" ), libType = c( "single-end", "single-end", "single-end", "single-end", "single-end","single-end" ) )
    singleSamples_pos = Design3L_pos$libType == "single-end"
    countTable_pos = CountTable3L_pos[ , singleSamples_pos]
    condition_pos = Design3L_pos$condition[ singleSamples_pos ]
    full_cds_pos = newCountDataSet( countTable_pos, condition_pos )
    rs_pos = rowSums ( counts ( full_cds_pos ))
    use = (rs_pos > quantile(rs_pos, probs=theta))
    table(use)
    cds_pos = full_cds_pos[use,]
    cds_pos = estimateSizeFactors( cds_pos )
    cds_pos = estimateDispersions( cds_pos )
    res_pos = nbinomTest( cds_pos, "untreated", "treated" )
    write.table(res_pos, file = Fname_pos, append = FALSE, quote = FALSE, sep = "\t", eol = "\n", na = "NA", dec = ".", row.names = TRUE, col.names = TRUE, qmethod = c("escape", "double"), fileEncoding = "")

min(res_pos$padj)
    Attached Files

Your truncated dataset appears to (correctly) have no significant hits. I'd go through the steps in the vignette and take a look at the dispersion and MA plots. Relatedly, it looks like you're using DESeq - would recommend using DESeq2.

Comment

Small p-values are expected when you do many tests. One way to think about p-value correction is so you are not fooled by these small p-values which are expected under the null. Under the null, you would expect 1 p-value < 1/10,000 when you do 10,000 tests, 2 p-values less than 2/10,000, etc. If you run p-values like these (i.e. uniformly distributed) through an adjustment like the BH method, you will find there will generally be no set for which the FDR < x < 1. This is multiple test correction doing it's job. See the vignette for more description.

Also, as fanli points out, that is DESeq code, not DESeq2.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses