No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velvet Columbus unexpected results

Hi all,
    I have recently tried using Velvet Columbus extension in order to preform reference guided assembly of a whole genome sequence.
    I have tried using two references to which I mapped my read using BWA -
    The better one had 99.57% of reads mapped (and a cover of 99.9% of the reference)
    The worse one had only 84.54% of the reads mapped.

I tried assembling with velvet Columbus with both of the references (the rest of the parameters were the same).
    Surprisingly, the worse reference had better result (225 contigs, L50 = 29) than the better reference (370 contigs, L50 = 39)

My question is, are those results plausible? I used velvet running on the BAM file produced by BWA with the same parameters exactly. Is there anything wrong that I could have done on the way?

Thank you a lot!!

I wonder if the repetitive content of the two genomes had anything to do with the unexpected results with Velvet Columbus?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses