Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA fragmentation

Hi I was looking to do an RNA fragmentation protocol using the Covaris versus chemical cleavage (i.e. Zinc ion & high temp). Does the Covaris shearing of single stranded RNA result in 5' OH and 3' PO4 ends? Or scrambled like the chemical cleavage protocol? (i.e. 2' PO4, 3' PO4 and cyclic 3' ends). Any ideas on the product formation? Thanks!

I don't know, but I would think that you would have fragments that have 5'-PO4, 3'-PO4, both or neither. I think T4PNK should be able to fix this, though. (Though I have not tested this myself.)

Most enzymes that fragment RNA leave a 3'-PO4/5'-OH or maybe a cyclic 2'-3' PO4 linkage. So that might be a general paradigm. But sonication, being mechanical, might generate results similar to DNA. I went over a (rather old) manuscript that studied this:

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

--
    Phillip

Comment

Hi Argonaute,

Most likely the ends do have a PO4/OH much like single stranded DNA shearing using Covaris AFA. The ends should be treated as described in the paper located at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...164-12-332.pdf

Thank you

Hamid

Comment

Thank you Philip and Hamid will read over the two articles thoroughly!

Comment

Hi everybody,,,
          what is the purpose of RNA fragmentation????

Comment

RNA is fragmented either chemically, or physically for use in RNA-seq.

hamid

Comment

thank you hamid,,,

I've read a book explained about two kinds of enzymes which break the links in an RNA chain (G-enzyme and U,C-enzyme). are they produced in human body????

Comment

Originally posted by Laily View Post
                thank you hamid,,,

I've read a book explained about two kinds of enzymes which break the links in an RNA chain (G-enzyme and U,C-enzyme). are they produced in human body????
                I think RNAseA is usually isolated from cow pancreas -- so human pancreas would produce it as well, in all likelihood. RNAseA cleaves ssRNA after U or C.

Not sure if there is a human RNAse that cleaves after G. That is a characteristic of a fungal RNAse, RNAseT1.

--
                Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses