SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RTA v2.8 : Conflicts with low complexity sequence nickp Illumina/Solexa 2 06-04-2014 09:19 AM
programs for filtering low complexity swarbre Bioinformatics 5 02-05-2012 07:04 AM
Changing dNTP Flow Order for Low-Complexity Template Regions SeqNerd Ion Torrent 9 01-16-2012 06:28 AM
Sequencing low complexity libraries: effects on data casbon Illumina/Solexa 7 09-05-2011 11:51 PM
Help:primer and low complexity sequence filter alvin1982 Illumina/Solexa 0 04-21-2010 07:05 PM

Old 11-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
ein_io

Default PE sequencing of a lib with ONE end high and the other low complexity

I am preparing a custom library for paired end sequencing.

It is a low complexity lib. To circumvent the problem with cluster calling I have included NNNNN from the end that will be sequenced first (right after the ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT which I assume is used for the first read)

I wonder whether I need to put NNNNN on the other side as well? Does the reverse read use the cluster positional information generated during the first read?

any thoughts - deeply appreciated

ein_io is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
HESmith

Try searching the forum; this issue has been addressed multiple times.
HESmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
ein_io

tried searching the forum - found it mentioned once (in a thread discussing the bareback "delayed" cluster calling one guy says that clusters are not called during the reverse PE run) but not discussed explicitly

if you know the answer - can you tell me?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:52 AM   #4
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein_io View Post
I am preparing a custom library for paired end sequencing.

It is a low complexity lib. To circumvent the problem with cluster calling I have included NNNNN from the end that will be sequenced first (right after the ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT which I assume is used for the first read)

I wonder whether I need to put NNNNN on the other side as well? Does the reverse read use the cluster positional information generated during the first read?
Yes, the reverse read uses the cluster positions generated during the first read.

That said, I have noticed focus issues that seem to spring up when the instrument attempts a scan with no clusters fluorescing. (During the indexing cycles in my case.) My concern would be this would be especially an issue during the first few cycles of a read. Recent firmware upgrades have ameliorated this issue. But it still makes me nervous. But I think the instrument we have, the HiScanSQ, may be more susceptible to this issue than the more common HiSeqs.

Sacrificing those first 5 bases of your reverse read: I can't say it is worth it, but maybe.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
ein_io

Thank you very much, Phillip