SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
total rna quality for library construction wayland Illumina/Solexa 3 10-13-2011 05:10 AM
miRNA library construction/sequencing lvcosme General 0 09-20-2011 01:30 PM
PE mRNA seq library construction LLL109 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 03-08-2010 12:17 PM
PubMed: Native chromatin preparation and illumina/solexa library construction. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 02-12-2010 02:12 AM
Ti vs. FLX library construction HMorrison 454 Pyrosequencing 1 10-29-2009 05:51 AM

Old 12-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
chloe_giselle

Unhappy Sequencing Library Construction of Solexa

Hi All,
1) What is Solexa?

Last edited by chloe_giselle; 12-29-2011 at 09:47 PM.
chloe_giselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

Please search before posting. This is the most basic of questions.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe_giselle View Post
Hi All,

I am new to NGS and I am still trying hard to understand Solid and Solexa.

I defined "sequencing library" as the library prepared in the wetlab for being sequenced by a sequencer.

1) What are the methods used for constructing sequencing library in Solexa?
Hi Chloe,
Your very first post and already being chastised by the forum's owner. Not the best beginning for you.

There isn't really a "Solexa" any more. The company was purchased by Illumina some years ago and use of the old name "Solexa" has fallen by the wayside.
This question is too vague. There are numerous methods for constructing libraries for use on an Illumina sequencer.
Quote:
2) How about for Solid? What are the differences in the construction between these two?
This question is of some interest to me. My answer probably won't help you get a good grade on your home work, if that is where this question comes from. Because I doubt whomever wrote the question knows the actual answer.

They differ from library construction for the SOLiD mainly for historical reasons. With a little effort you could use Illumina library construction kits for constructing SOLiD libraries and vice-versa.

The only real distinction between a library made for a SOLiD and one made for an Illumina sequencer are that they use difference template PCR (ePCR for SOLiD, cluster/bridge PCR for Illumina) adapter sequences. Especially the sequence of the primer actually attached to the substrate (bead or flowcell) is instrument specific.

In addition, Illumina typically employes a single, partially double-stranded Y-adapter for library construction, whereas the older, two adapter approach is still used by SOLiD.
Quote:
Please advise me. I need to know this urgently so that I can quickly work on my experiment. Many thanks in advance :)
There you go: enough rope to hang yourself.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote