SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merging non-overlapping paired end reads karenr Illumina/Solexa 9 12-16-2016 06:02 PM
Overlapping Paired End reads - questions... NRiddiford RNA Sequencing 0 07-19-2012 07:08 AM
Overlapping and non-Overlapping pair-end reads with Tophat senpeng Illumina/Solexa 4 10-16-2011 06:43 PM
Questions about overlapping paired-end reads... FredOnSeq Illumina/Solexa 6 04-18-2011 05:19 PM
How to manage overlapping paired-end reads? FredOnSeq Bioinformatics 2 09-09-2010 01:27 AM

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
clariet

Default lots of overlapping reads - Pair-end library from Nextera

We have done a couple of run (2X150 and 2X250) of Miseq on bacteria genome sequencing. They all have a high overlapping rate (>80%).

We used Nextera XT for sample prep. I am interested to see any other users of Nextera and what your experience is on insert length and how we could increase insert length in order to reduce overlapping reads.

Thanks in advance.
Clariet
clariet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
Torst

Yes this is unfortunately very common. Library prep is very sensitive to timings and amounts.

Read about Nick's experiences here: http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/blog...era-libraries/
Torst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
cliffbeall

We had a lot of overlap even with 100 bp paired end and an older Nextera. I think the average insert was around 150. Like the pathogenomics blog post I used Trimmomatic to remove the adapters - it has a sensible way of doing it. Also like the post I got pretty good assemblies of bacteria.

I don't know of a sure way to increase insert size, but you might look at reducing the ratio of transposase to target DNA. I would give Epicentre a call - they have been helpful to me in the past.
cliffbeall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insert length, miseq, nextera, overlapping