SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to search by instrument in SRA? Jasmine Bioinformatics 3 07-08-2010 03:15 PM
Next gen sequencing: urgent and updated instrument comparison censinis RNA Sequencing 0 10-14-2009 01:25 AM
New user profile field, which instrument(s) do you have? ECO Site Announcements 0 06-22-2008 08:50 PM
Heliscope instrument pricing announced ECO Helicos / Direct Genomics 0 11-01-2007 07:01 AM

Old 03-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #21
nickloman

Yep, it does depend on companies not sharing serial numbers between unrelated product lines. Intuitively this feels unlikely to be the case but I guess it is possible.

We do have some data (e.g. from the map) which will help us figure out if the predictions are likely to be right, e.g. relative frequencies of 454s, Solexas and SOLiDs in the wild.

My boss always says "Why think, why not do the experiment?" - lets have a go and see if it works! Please send your numbers in!
nickloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #22
avilella

Awesome initiative!

As an incentive to reports, a prize should be given to the person who reported the highest id at the end of each week (Friday 5pm CET). T-shirt? Chocolate bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjordan View Post
The number of machines sold by each major manufacturer is a closely guarded secret - they gave some figures at the beginning, but no longer now (as far as I've been able to see). Does anyone have firm or semi-firm estimates? My own guestimate is around 1,000 systems sold altogether, more than half being Illumina and the rest shared (about equally) between 454 and SOLiD...
Do you agree, disagree?

All replies will be VERY welcome!
avilella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 AM   #23
nickloman

Hehe! That might skew the results a bit
Old 03-19-2010, 04:05 AM   #24
avilella

Maybe we then need a phone picture of the Serial number as a proof :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickloman View Post
Hehe! That might skew the results a bit
Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #25
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

Hi Steven,

Almost all manufacutrers use sequential serial numbers, they have too as it is very complex to try and hide this kind of info. Assuming this is tru for ABI, 454 and Illumina then this method should give an approximation. I believe they do not use a set of serial numbers across multiple platforms. Our BeadScanner and Cluster station are quite different to our GAs.

The google map (http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/hts) of seqeuncers Nick mentioned might allow us to say if that approximation bears any resemblance to what people say they have on the map.
james hadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:16 AM   #26
steven

Sure, the assumption of sequential serial numbers for a same product line is reasonable and makes sense (although it is still an assumption). As soon as i get my hands on a machine i will definitely post the number.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #27
nickloman

Guys

I've got 15 numbers so far. Mainly these are Illumina, the rest are 454 and only 1 SOLiD number. We probably only need 15 or so more numbers to start making predictions .. Please spread the word far and wide to anyone who can get access to a machine and post a number for this project!

http://pathogenomics.bham.ac.uk/hts/serial

Still no prizes on offer yet, just the warm glow of having helped the war effort. But if incentives are required then so be it!!

Cheers
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #28
james hadfield
Cambridge, UK
Community Forum

Maybe someone could offer a prize? Illumina, ABI or 454, even Pacific Biosciences perhaps ;-)
James.
james hadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #29
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hadfield View Post
Maybe someone could offer a prize? Illumina, ABI or 454, even Pacific Biosciences perhaps ;-)
James.
They are all too busy changing their serial number policy, setting a +10 iteration at each machine
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #30
Joann

Default Cookies!

I'll send a box of fresh home-baked cookies custom prepared according to the winner's favorite ingredients and specs. Otherwise, chocolate-chip with pecans.
Joann
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:04 AM   #31
brjordan

You may have noticed a recent item in In Sequence in which Illumina indicate a total of 1,500 installed machines (theirs plus others). See:
http://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/...installed-date
The google map is nice but still very incomplete - I guess many owners are not motivated or not aware of SequAnswers (too bad for them!)...
By the way, if you're an academic (a pretty loose definition) you can get free access to In Sequence and to the other GenomeWeb newsletters (BioArray news, Pharmacogenomics..). This may require an email to the person in charge of the site, but it works!

Cheers,

Bertrand
13288 Marseille, FRANCE
brjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #32
avilella

I think the difference between the ~1500 reported by Illumina and the 540 (as of 20100405) in the HTS website comes mainly from people not being aware of the site, rather than from being reluctant to disclose the machines they have.

Over the weekend, I did a very simple Google search for queries like:
"DNA sequencing facility" Illumina OR 454 OR SOLID site:.edu

and managed to find an extra half a dozen centers that have a website specifying the machines they have, prices, etc. but they weren't in the map.

There might be a portion of the machines that are in pharma companies and don't want to advertise the level of sequencing they are doing, but that is, I would say, in the few hundreds. I think the map could easily reach ~1250 out of the ~1500 if all the machines in all public centers were in the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjordan View Post
You may have noticed a recent item in In Sequence in which Illumina indicate a total of 1,500 installed machines (theirs plus others). See:
http://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/...installed-date
The google map is nice but still very incomplete - I guess many owners are not motivated or not aware of SequAnswers (too bad for them!)...
By the way, if you're an academic (a pretty loose definition) you can get free access to In Sequence and to the other GenomeWeb newsletters (BioArray news, Pharmacogenomics..). This may require an email to the person in charge of the site, but it works!

Cheers,

Bertrand
Old 04-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #33
nickloman

If there are 1500 Illuminas out there then that means the map is about 1/3 complete. Which is pretty good for a community-run resource like this but I agree we could do better. If you do find a centre not in there, please put a placeholder down!

The results, so far, of the serial number challenge will be announced real soon now, and they are quite interesting!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:43 AM   #34
brjordan

Another piece of "numerical" news: Roche announces 139 M CHF (~139 M USD) sequencing sales in 2009, based exclusively on the 454 system. If I assume that 50% of this is new machine sales, and a unit price of 500 K USD, this works out to 140 454 systems sold last year, a figure that looks fairly reasonable. Of course this puts Roche last of the "big three", and you can understand why they launch the "GS junior"...
13288 Marseille, FRANCE
brjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #35
steven

Hi there,
anything new from the tanks? I only see 27 submissions on your web site
Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #36
lry198010

So how many machines have been shipped to its customers, may the 27 submissions is not enough to predict the shipped machines?
lry198010 is offline   Reply With Quote