SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compare de-novo transcriptome assembly to genome reference guided assembly IdoBar Bioinformatics 1 04-04-2014 12:28 AM
Validating and Evaluating the Quality of an NGS pipeline Nilaksha Bioinformatics 2 03-12-2014 08:24 PM
Validating Predictions of small insertions / deletions rohan_1925 Bioinformatics 1 02-17-2014 01:55 AM
Validating RNA-Seq Tags DNA_Monk RNA Sequencing 0 03-15-2013 06:50 AM
Validating assembly Mona Bioinformatics 0 03-13-2010 11:09 AM

Old 11-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
thebutcher

Default Validating genome assembly

Hi,

I'm quite new to bioinformatics, so please excuse the simplicity of this post.

I've sequenced a fungal genome (<40 Mbp) using the Ion Torrent platform. I created a fragment library, which means that I should now have single end reads (right?)

MIRA seemed like a good choice of assembler so I used that as well as CLC to assemble the reads into contigs, but now I'm stuck. I'd like to compare the qualities of the MIRA and CLC assemblies using CGAL, but I have no idea how to use the program.

I've read the CGAL paper, but I'm not sure where to begin running this program on the cluster at my school and I can't find much info on this program anywhere else. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Thanks in advance!
thebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

I like to run Quast for evaluating assemblies, and it's pretty easy to use. It's best if you have a reference but does not require one.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
GenoMax

Downloading CGAL and trying it out yourself may be the only option. There is no online help documentation (or so it appears). Hopefully there is help documentation included in the source code download.

You are going to need to do some leg work to find out how to run software on your local cluster (every site has different setup, local restrictions, best practices etc). If you run into specific issues, we can try to help.

Quast (that Brian already mentioned) has help documentation that you can look at.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
thebutcher

Thanks a lot! I will take a look at Quast. I downloaded CGAL and tried unzipping it in the cluster, but to no avail. It is a .tar file so I typed the command:

tar -xzvf file.tar

After that the command prompt disappeared and nothing else happened. Any ideas?
thebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assembly, cgal, genome