SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"coverage" of introns, intergenic regions for RNASEQ PFS Bioinformatics 2 09-07-2011 01:51 PM
Removal of retained introns / primary transcripts from de novo RNAseq assembly sandmann RNA Sequencing 1 07-29-2011 08:54 AM
NCBI vs UCSC rudi283 Bioinformatics 14 04-01-2011 02:46 PM
UCSC for Arabidopsis? BioTalk Bioinformatics 10 09-17-2010 10:34 AM
UCSC for Arabidopsis BioTalk Bioinformatics 0 09-07-2010 11:33 AM

Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
doublehelix82

Default UCSC introns

Hello, I have a newbie question: How does UCSC genome browser determine where the introns are in the genomes? I read how they build the gene annotations @ http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTra...r1&g=knownGene, but could not understand how they determine where the introns are. I am just wondering if the introns come with the gene predictions from other databases, i.e., refseq, genbank, ... or if the introns are downloaded from a whole another database? Thanks!

DH.
doublehelix82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
ntremblay

The UCSC Genes track shows gene predictions based on data from RefSeq, Genbank, CCDS and UniProt. Following all the steps mention in the link you provided, they annotate all the exons to the reference genome. The introns are only the remaining, un-annotated, reference genomic sequence. Thus, they are not downloaded from another database, but only sequence that shows no significant evidence for a exonic function. ...
ntremblay is offline   Reply With Quote