SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding Read Groups for single end and paired end data imsharmanitin Bioinformatics 1 07-10-2018 03:05 AM
Single end read with paired end reads tahamasoodi Bioinformatics 2 01-16-2016 07:46 AM
Confusion about single end vs paired end read output on Illumina HiSeq acidcoated Illumina/Solexa 1 03-19-2015 08:56 AM
pair-end sequencing produces single-end read artifact pparg Bioinformatics 9 03-29-2010 11:15 AM
Difference in paired-end and single-end read ? darshan Bioinformatics 1 09-30-2009 11:44 PM

Old 09-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Notorious ATG

Question Single end read WGBS

Hi all,

We study DNA methylation in mouse tissues, usually with extremely small input quantities of DNA (i.e. total yields of 5-15ng) from FACS-sorted microdissected brain tissues. Our sequencing center uses the tagmentation-based library preparation protocol described in Wang et al., (2013).

The downside of this is that despite our efforts to adjust tagmentation time/concentration, we always end up with really small insert sizes. When we do paired-end sequencing, almost all of the second read goes to waste because it overlaps the first.

A cheaper option that seemingly eliminates this redundancy is to do 200bp single-end reads. We have a quote for that which would seemingly meet our coverage requirements and is much cheaper than our usual paired-end method.

My question: is this a good way to go? Are there any obvious pitfalls I should be aware of when using 200bp single-end reads for WGBS (one advantage is that these are inbred, genetically identical mice, so no indels to worry about).

Thank you!

Wang, Q., Gu, L., Adey, A., Radlwimmer, B., Wang, W., Hovestadt, V., Weichenhan, D. (2013). Tagmentation-based whole-genome bisulfite sequencing. Nature Protocols, 8(10), 20222032. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2013.118
Notorious ATG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #2
fkrueger

In my opinion long single-end reads are a very good alternative to overlapping, redundant PE reads. Read processing should also be generally faster.

Just make sure that the reads are properly quality and adapter trimmed (which will almost certainly be an issue with reads this long), a default run through e.g. Trim Galore should do the trick. Good luck!
fkrueger is online now   Reply With Quote