Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RiboZero - Disappearing mRNA?

I'm having some trouble with Epicentre's RiboZero Plant Leaf Kit, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have been isolating total RNA from maize leaves using a standard Trizol procedure. I DNase-treat that RNA, then use the RiboZero kit.

The starting RNA and the DNase-treated RNA look fine on the Bioanalyzer (see attached photo, the top two frames of the figure).

However, after I run the RiboZero kit and I send my sample to the Bioanalyzer there seems to be nothing but tRNAs left (bottom frame of the attached figure), and I'm really not looking to just sequence tRNA.

I've tried this on four separate samples, and I keep getting the same Bioanalyzer result. The first two times I followed the RiboZero protocol for using the Qiagen RNeasy MinElute Cleanup kit, and the last two times I tried Zymo's RNA Clean & Concentrator kit.

Our DNA Core facility hasn't had anyone else use an rRNA removal kit, so they haven't been much help.
    Am I reading my Bioanalyzer results correctly? I believe our DNA core ran the RiboZero on a separate mRNA Bioanalyzer chip instead of a total RNA chip.

I know there's at least some mRNA present in my total RNA extractions (before using RiboZero, after DNase-treatment) because I'm able to make a pretty decent batch of cDNA from them.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wit's end!
    Attached Files

I don't see anything necessarily wrong here. Our experience with maize (and other plants for that matter) is that rRNA seems to be >99% of the total RNA. Either that, or we just suck at obtaining high yields of non-ribosomal RNA from plants.

So, lots of rRNA, low percentage of non rRNA, what would you expect from successfully removing all the rRNA? Basically the picture you show. If you are doing normal RNA seq, I would suggest using the Zymo protocol that washes away the small RNA, then ask your core to run a pico RNA chip on your RNA. That would give you a profile of the length distribution of your resulting RNA without a giant small RNA peak squishing your mRNA down to the base line.

--
    Phillip

Comment

trouble with RiboZero

I am also having trouble with this RiboZero plant leaf kit, I am posting bioanalyzer traces of one sample after I depleted the rRNA (notice a peak at 1300 nt). I continued with the construction of the library (ScriptSeq™ mRNA-Seq Library Preparation Kit) and this is the profile I obtained (second figure) in the bioanalyzer (HS-DNA chip). My concern is that my library pretty much contains this abundant fragment that was not clean up by the RiboZero kit. Has anybody seen this before?
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm in the process of trying Phillip's suggesting right now. And by that I mean I'm still waiting for our DNA core to run the Bioanalyzer now that I've tried to remove all the smaller RNAs with the Zymo kit.

Comment

Originally posted by MPPFig View Post
          I am also having trouble with this RiboZero plant leaf kit, I am posting bioanalyzer traces of one sample after I depleted the rRNA (notice a peak at 1300 nt). I continued with the construction of the library (ScriptSeq™ mRNA-Seq Library Preparation Kit) and this is the profile I obtained (second figure) in the bioanalyzer (HS-DNA chip). My concern is that my library pretty much contains this abundant fragment that was not clean up by the RiboZero kit. Has anybody seen this before?
          What species of plant is this?
          --
          Phillip

Comment

Phillip:
            This is Brachypodium, what do you think? Epicentre took the rRNA seqs and blasted those to their probes, they said RZ should pick up my rRNAs...

Comment

1.3 thousand nucleotides would make it a chloroplast "16S" (small subunit) rRNA, most likely. Possibly your sample had a very high amount of chloroplast in it and RiboZero could not deplete it completely. But it does suggest that your 16S rRNA may be divergent enough in sequence from the consensus sequence Epicentre likely used to produce their binding oligos. Either that or your 16S has temperature-stable secondary structure that is interfering with oligo binding.

You could ask Epicentre for help. They might be able to suggest a tweak to your conditions (like starting with half the amount of total RNA) that would result in a better depletion.

--
              Phillip

Comment

Finally got my new Bioanalyzer results back, and I can't say I'm encouraged.

I used the Zymo kit to remove the big tRNA peak and wanted to see if I had any mRNA left.

Should I just trash these guys and start over?
                Attached Files

Comment

How much did you get (total) and how much do you need?
                  Was this a nano RNA chip or a pico?
                  To me they look fine. Well, a little weird you have so much stuff at >4 kb, but maybe that is expected in your species.

--
                  Phillip

Comment

I only need 50 ng for my library prep, and I have about 300 ng, so that's not an issue.

This was done on a pico chip.

Shouldn't I see a little bump for mRNA on the X-axis somewhere?

This is maize...I have no clue if the bump at 4kb is expected or not.

Comment

FYI, from the Epicentre website FAQ RE: Ribozero:

After I used a Ribo-Zero Kit, I noticed a peak at 100-140 nt in my Bioanalyzer traces (but no 16S/23S rRNA). Why is that?

This is normal and expected. The peaks observed in the 100- to 140-nt region on a Bioanalyzer trace correspond to tRNA, small noncoding RNAs, and small amounts of 5S rRNA (in cases where 5S rRNA removal is less efficient). These small RNAs are available for inclusion in a sequencing library if desired, but can be readily removed by gel or other size-selection techniques that are designed to remove small RNAs, either before or after library synthesis.

Comment

I used the RiboZero Gold kit for Humans on human tissue RNA also extracted with Trizol. I don't have a picture right now, but our bioanalyzer looked the same as rndouglas' picture. We had a large peak at the beginning and then pretty much nothing. I talked to Epicentre and sent them my picture and they said it looked exactly like it was supposed to. We created the library with the Illumina TruSeq RNA sample prep kit and it looked great. We are still working on the data analysis, but so far they look as expected.

so basically, mine looked the same and my library passed all the QC before I ran it. I say, make your library and go from there.

lindsey

Comment

Thanks Phillip! I tested a sample using MicroPoly(A)Purist™ Kit, 50ug total RNA as the input, this is how it looks when ran in the Pico Chip, the bioanalyzer calls a 3.5% rRNA contamination. It does look better than the RiboZero output, doesn't it?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MPPFig View Post
                            Thanks Phillip! I tested a sample using MicroPoly(A)Purist™ Kit, 50ug total RNA as the input, this is how it looks when ran in the Pico Chip, the bioanalyzer calls a 3.5% rRNA contamination. It does look better than the RiboZero output, doesn't it?
                            Probably, but those are two different types of depletions. The RiboZero clearly did not remove the 18S. Your polyA results are consistent with either: (1) effective removal of rRNA or (2) degradation of rRNA into a trace no longer identifiable as such. You won't know which until you sequence it or test it with qPCR. That 3.5% figure is obviously completely meaningless. You could have zero % rRNA or 100% rRNA (but degraded) and Agilent would have no idea.

--
                            Phillip

Comment

Talked to Epicentre today and learned that my traces are exactly what I should expect to see. Wish I had just called them a couple months ago! Full speed ahead with library construction now...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses