Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meaning of Negative Alignment Score in BOWTIE2 output

I have a mIRNA seq data in which I aligned it to whole genome UCSC hg19.
    For that I use bowtie2 with the following parameter:

Code:
    bowtie2 -x myindex -U my_mirna_seq.fastq --n-ceil L,0,0 -k 1 -N 1  -S mydata.sam
    However in the SAM output I notice the alignment score is negative:

Code:
    $cut -f12  mydata.sam | grep AS | sort -u | tail 
    AS:i:-29
    AS:i:-3
    AS:i:-30
    AS:i:-4
    AS:i:-5
    AS:i:-6
    AS:i:-7
    AS:i:-8
    AS:i:-9
    AS:i:0
    What does it mean to have -ve AS value?
    How should I deal with it?

And also the MAPQ score is 255 for all the alignments, no others.
    Is that normal?
    Last edited by foolishbrat; 01-29-2014, 01:13 AM.

Regarding the negative alignment scores, the highest possible alignment score in end-to-end alignment is 0. For each mismatch or gap open/extension, that score is decremented by some amount (for mismatches, this amount depends on the phred score of the base).

Regarding the MAPQ value, this is due to you using "-k 1". What you're telling bowtie2 to do is to look for at most one valid hit and to stop looking once it's found one. That hit will often not be the best hit that bowtie2 could find and since it's being told to stop looking right away it can't possibly calculate a MAPQ, since it would need to search more thoroughly to have any clue how good the returned alignment is. So, 255 would be the appropriate value.

Just don't use "-k 1" and you'll get the single best alignment for each read and an accompanying MAPQ score.

Comment

Thanks, two more questions:

So if I remove -k1 that means for each read it will output only 1 best position, which doesn't mean it's uniquely mapped, am I right?

If so how can I determine the uniquely mapped reads from the parameter or the SAM output?
      By looking at MAPQ=255?
      Last edited by foolishbrat; 01-29-2014, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Correct, there's no option to tell bowtie2 to only report unique alignments. For bowtie2 (I should note that this is ONLY true for bowtie2), MAPQ scores of 0 and 1 indicate non-unique mapping, so you can filter by that (though not if you use "-k 1", since this only works when you have actual MAPQ values). Alternatively (also not when "-k 1" is used, but a bit more portable to other aligners), you can often just look for reads with "NH:i:1" auxiliary tags, though that's more work.

Comment

Thanks a million.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses