No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tabix and 1000 genomes data

Hi,

I am trying to access the latest release of the 1000 genomes data to check a few snps. In the README file they say:
    "Each file has a tabix index associated with it allowing subsections to be downloaded using the tabix program... like this:
    tabix
    ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...notypes.vcf.gz 1:233411980-245804116"

I did that and I got a .tbi file. How do I open it or access it to look at the variants? I could not find any documentation explaining that.

Thank you for your help!

Alessandra

Have u figured it out? I am in the same boat. Can u tell me how you did it? Thanks. John.

Comment

the tbi file it downloaded was the index file it uses to find the variants

It should of also streamed the section vcf file to STDOUT and you will need to capture this in a file

tabix -h ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...notypes.vcf.gz 1:233411980-245804116 > myfile.vcf

should give you a vcf file

Its best to use the -h option from tabix as this gives you the header which is important for interpreting the file correctly

Comment

Hi,

I've red that someone had some problem with tabix. I have Windows 7 and I dowloaded tabix (tabix-0.2.3.tar.bz2) but I don't know how to install it. I use Samtools and I have no problems but with Tabix I'm in trouble. Could some one give me an help on how install it and make it work?

Thanks

Andrea

Comment

Hi,
          I have a quick question about using tabix on the 1000 genomes data. I have used it to download some regions I am interested in. But I haven't got the header so I can't see the sample order. I thought there must be a way to ask tabix for the header, I tried what Laura mentions, but it says -h is not an option? Am I missing something?

Thanks

Originally posted by laura View Post
          the tbi file it downloaded was the index file it uses to find the variants

It should of also streamed the section vcf file to STDOUT and you will need to capture this in a file

tabix -h ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...notypes.vcf.gz 1:233411980-245804116 > myfile.vcf

should give you a vcf file

Its best to use the -h option from tabix as this gives you the header which is important for interpreting the file correctly

Comment

what version of tabix are you using -h only appeared in version 0.2.3

Comment

Hi Laura,
              Thanks very much for you quick reply, I have version 0.2.1 so I will download a newer one and try that.

Comment

My compiled version of tabix

You can download my compiled version of tabix here:

Originally posted by Alessandra View Post
                Hi,

I am trying to access the latest release of the 1000 genomes data to check a few snps. In the README file they say:
                "Each file has a tabix index associated with it allowing subsections to be downloaded using the tabix program... like this:
                tabix
                ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...notypes.vcf.gz 1:233411980-245804116"

I did that and I got a .tbi file. How do I open it or access it to look at the variants? I could not find any documentation explaining that.

Thank you for your help!

Alessandra

Comment

Sometimes I feel like some things in bioinfo have been made rather difficult on purpose. The available 1,000 genomes data is a perfect example of this. There's some truth to this rant..

Sorry for the off-topic..
                  savetherhino.org

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses