Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown index contamination in DNA library, carried into demultiplexed samples

Hello everyone,

I have encountered a rather strange contamination in our DNA libraries and would be thankful for help in finding the source, the proper way to trim it and advice on how to avoid it in the future.

Background:
    Our plant sample DNA are prepared in-house following a modified KAPA protocol with P5-P7 indexes (that we mix ourselves; corresponsing to Illumina adapters) and AMPure beads. We use dual-indexing attached in a PCR step (rather short with 8 cycles). Our indexes are 8bp long corresponding to TruSeq. Prior to pooling all samples are size-selected to remove fragments <150bp, hence supposedly removing all traces of adapter dimer. Samples were pooled and sent to sequencing center where they were sequenced on a HiSeqV4 PE125. A spike-in from another user was present.

According to the fastqc report, on read1 the full library seems to include about 6 million reads of an unknown source, not similar to any index that we used, not to the index reported from the other user nor to published DNA sequences from Illumina, but it does 'look like' an artifact:
    ACCTTATTCACGCCTAAAAAGTAGACTGACTGTGGGGTGGTCGTGTTTTT
    It doesn't blast to any known plant sequences (seems to blast to some human sequence but with a low match, could be adapter someone else left in...). No contamination is present on read2. See attached fastqc screenshot.

The truly inexplicable part is that after successfully demultiplexing (using deML) those 'contaminant' reads are present in all separate sample files in similar numbers (example fastqc report attached), comprising 20% of the reads for some samples! I cannot understand this behavior and cannot figure out whether I'm seeing a PCR artifact, another user's index or something else.
    In addition, trimming those reads using Trimmomatic gave bad results - I added the contaminant sequence to Trimmomatic's adapter file and lost almost 40% of the reads for many samples.

Any hint to direct me in bioinformatic forensics would be very much welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gyardeni; 07-13-2018, 07:45 AM.

No idea. Maybe take a look at them untrimmed to see what adapter type is carrying the insert.

--
    Phillip

Comment

Hi Phillip,

Thanks for the reply. Since posting I actually took a look at the demultiplexing method, since it seemed like strange sequences ended up in the demultiplexed files. It turned out to be the behavior of samtools - when using the -r command to separate by RG field all the lines that don't have that field end up in the file, too.
      I opened an issue and it seems that're planning to fix it (follow here: https://github.com/samtools/samtools/issues/896).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses