No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X11/X-Windows

how do I use X11/X-Windows when running igv

Here is a guide on how to do this: http://www.no.embnet.org/guides/puttyandxming.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Here is a guide on how to do this: http://www.no.embnet.org/guides/puttyandxming.pdf

I am using MobaXterm on windows to access the server. Can it do the same thing as putty? If so then I need advise on how to explore instead of installing a new program!

Thanks

Comment

No installation is required for PuTTY (it is a very small program that you run directly). http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

You would want to use X11 only if a reliable (good, speed-wise) internet connection is available.

Comment

No installation is required for PuTTY (it is a very small program that you run directly). http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

You would want to use X11 only if a reliable (good, speed-wise) internet connection is available.
          For my case what will be the host name or IP address?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            For my case what will be the host name or IP address?

Thanks
            IP address or name of the server you are using.

Comment

IP address or name of the server you are using.
              This gives a blank configured session. is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
                This gives a blank configured session. is this normal?
                Are you using the "basic host name" you use with MobaXterm and the same user name with PuTTY?

MobaXterm appears to include some form of X11 so you may be able to use that program (http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/documentation.html#2_3_5).

Comment

Are you using the "basic host name" you use with MobaXterm and the same user name with PuTTY?

MobaXterm appears to include some form of X11 so you may be able to use that program (http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/documentation.html#2_3_5).

I have succeeded in configuring putty, however when I launch Xming, I do not an X-shaped icon on the right corner of your Windows taskbar (bottom of the Screen) as stated in the manual and when I type, this happens:
                  yyyy$ xclock &
                  > [1] 4556
                  > [yyyy ~]$ Error: Can't open display:

what is the problem?\
                  Last edited by kaps; 04-24-2015, 05:10 AM. Reason: renaming command

Comment

Sounds like you were not able to install X-ming application correctly (or it is not running, check in your windows task manager).

What do you see when you type this command in terminal on server (remove the actual name of the server when posting output/replace with xxx)?

Code:
                    $ echo $DISPLAY

Comment

Nothing is seen

Comment

That means you were not able to configure PuTTY correctly. If you did do the "Enable X11 forwarding" on PuTTY you generally have to save the settings. Log out and log back in to the server to see the result of command above. Give that a try.

Comment

Its now set. I see the eyes and the clock (though the x shaped icon cannot be seen!).

Now that putty is working, How do i use it to run igv?

Thanks

Comment

Download IGV from Broad Institute and run it following the instructions: http://www.broadinstitute.org/igv/

Comment

Hello, If am running IGV on putty, will the required version be, Binary Distribution?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses