Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bioedit vs blastn results

hello, I have blasted my contigs and obtained some hits with high percentage identities. I then retrieved the fasta files of those hits and computed sequence identity matrix using bioedit. I expected the results from both blastn and bioedit to be the same, but they are not. Is this proper? if Not, what could be the problem?

I have attached a doc showing results
    Attached Files

What exactly are you trying to do?

Blastn hits are probably not full length (unless the sequences are very homologous from end-to-end). I assume you are importing sequences that are full length into bioedit and then aligning them with clustalW (which is now a global alignment instead of the local in Blast). That is probably the reason why your identity matrix is not showing values closer to 1.0.

Comment

hi,

My interest is to generate a Pairwise sequence comparison matrix.
      the blastn hits include both full length and partial. Seq identity matrix I posted were generated without clustalw alignment. when I aligned only 3 long seqs out of the 12 seqs remained. Imagine the 9 were eliminated because of being short?,dissimilar?

Comment

Are these sequences of similar length? Are there repeats (internal)?

You may want to look at dot plots if you are trying to find similarities.

Comment

The sequences differ in length. I have not checked whether there are repeats. how do I check for repeats?

I will read about dot plots using the link provided.

thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses