Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question: low cluster density on MiSeq (Chip-Seq pool)

Hi all,

I'm new on this and it seems that's we have some problem with cluster density on MiSeq. We have just run a pool of 2 libraries (from Chip-seq ) , 56 cycles and we are getting very bad results:

* Q-score all cycles: 0.1G, 82%
    * Cluster density: 471K/mm2
    *Clustering passing filter: 20%

I think that i made some mistake in the calculations preparing the pool of quantified libraries at the time of adding NaOH, but I'm not sure...

I have attached a file with the basic calulations. Anyone could have a look and let me know if I shouldn't have diluted the samples so much?We choose 11pM for final concentration of the pool...was it correct or should we have choosed 11pM for each sample?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Attached Files

I may have done my math incorrectly, but I came up with a final NaOH concentration of 0.002N in your final mixture. If so, that would probably explain the low cluster density/low passing filter. Illumina documents typically say to stay below 0.001M (1 mM) in the final solution after diluting with HT1.

I would recommend reprepping your denature/dilution. Since your libraries are fairly low concentration, you will probably want to denature, but neutralize your final denature with HCl. See this post for more help:

Happy sequencing
    Last edited by Calluna; 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I forgot to mention, if your libraries are not very diverse, I would also recommend spiking in some PhiX. If you have the updated Miseq software, I believe you can get by with 5% for very low diversity samples; otherwise, try spiking 25% PhiX and see what you get.

Comment

Hi Calluna!

Thanks for your help, we will keep in mind NaOH concentration for next round

Comment

After reading all these posts, I wonder, can't I just use 0.1N NaOH (instead of 0.2N) to denature my libraries ,with no further neutralization step?
          The issue is that I don't want to dilute my samples as much, so , maybe I can start with lower concentration of NaOH??

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Call Illumina and ask if 0.1N NaOH will be strong enough.

If not, you can use a higher concentration NaOH, but less of it... and then neutralize.

I think you can do the following (but double check my math!)
            Denature:
            6.5uL total of your 1.1nm normalized/mixed libraries
            2uL of 0.5N NaOH
            1.5uL H2O
            Total denature volume = 10uL

Add 1uL of 1N HCl
            Total neutralized denature = 11 uL

Add 639uL HT1

Total final volume = 650uL

If I did the math correctly, I think that gives you an 11pM final concentration, and because you neutralized the NaOH, you shouldn't have to worry about pH.

Comment

Hi Calluna!

Thanks a lot, I checked your maths and they were perfect :P They gave me a 10.95pM final concentraction

We will perform the run this week, I hope it will work!

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

My last question before starting (sorry!!! ):

I have two samples (1.1nM) that I want to run together on the MiSeq. Following your instructions, do you think this will be ok ?(to end up with a 11pM final concentration):

pool 2 libraries (1.1nM each one) :

5ul lib1 + 5 ul lib2 = 10ul pool 1.1nM
                + 2ul 0.5N NaOH
                1ul water
                (13ul of denatured samples at 0.84nM)

Then, neutralize with 1ul of 1N HCl (denatured and neutralized samples ; 14ul at 0.78nM)
                Finally, dilute samples with 992ul HT1 buffer = samples at final concentration= 11pM (load 600ul).

Thanks a lot!!!

Comment

I'm not sure how crucial it is to have your denature NaOH concentration at at least 0.1N, so I wouldn't mess with it if you don't have to.

This is what I would suggest instead:

Denature:
                  5uL of 1.1nM sample A
                  5uL of 1.1nM sample B
                  2.5uL of 0.5N NaOH (or 1.25uL H2O + 1.25uL 1N NaOH...either way it is the same thing. This way, you maintain a final effective NaOH concentration in the denature if 0.1N)
                  Denature volume = 12.5uL

Neutralize:
                  add 1.25uL of 1N HCl
                  Neutralized volume = 13.75uL

Hyb mix:
                  add 986.25uL HT1
                  Total final volume of 1000uL.

Don't forget to use some PhiX to help with any diversity issues.

Comment

Thanks a lot!!!
                    IN a few hours I will let you know if it worked!
                    I tried to answer your private message but I think I don't know how to do it, since I tried twice and no messages appear on my "Send items" folder!!! :O

Comment

So...here are the results

It seems that changind the final NaOH concentration has improved, somehow, the quality of the run, but not the cluster density...Now, we have more outputh, higher cluster pasing filter value but less cluster density... Here is the comparative between the " old run" and the "new run" from this morning:

“Old run”
                      Final concentration = 11pM
                      [NaOH] final = 0.002N
                      No neutralization
                      Qscore all cycles= 0.1G, 82%
                      Cluster density= 471K/mm2
                      Clustering passing filter= 20%

“New run”
                      Final concentration = 11pM
                      [NaOH] final = 0.001N
                      Neutralized with 1N HCl
                      Qscore all cycles= 0.3G, 98.6%
                      Cluster density= 363K/mm2
                      Clustering passing filter= 93.6%

Any idea? May it be something about the quantification?Should I load more sample?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I'm glad your Q scores and PF improved. The first thing that comes to mind is to ask how you determined concentration of your libraries. If it was based off High Sensitivity BA, I get quite a bit of variability in accuracy. If you haven't already, I would suggest trying a qPCR to quant the libraries. Second, I would probably suggest giving Illumina tech support a call to see if they can go through your run data with you.

As far as your other thread goes http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31491,
                        I'm not entirely sure what the extra hump would be from. It doesn't look broad enough to be bead carryover...maybe it is a bubble product, although your BA looks more like a shoulder than a bubble to me http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=bubble.

Maybe someone else may have some insight.

Comment

Hi again,

We quantify libraries using qPCR (KAPA Kit) and correcting by size with Bioanalyzer profile. Having a look at the results it seems that Chip is more "represented" than Input, and we think that the reason is the "strange " profile of chip samples (the correction by its size on bioanalyzer may not be ok, since the profile is more difuse or wide). So , maybe we should try these 2 things:

a) Correct by size again, in orde to have a more equitative pool.
                          b) Go for 16-17pM final concentration instead of 11pM and see if cluster density grows up, since the run seems to be "perfect" regarding the other metrics.

Thanks for your comments

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                          0 responses