No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of BLAST+ without root privileges

Hi,

I was trying to install BLAST+ as a dependency to an error correction tool SPRAI into a cluster server which I do not have root privileges, I followed through the configuration instruction in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK52640 and specified the variables for PATH and BLASTDB as follow:

export PATH="$PATH:$HOME/yanlue_l/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/bin
    echo $PATH
    output from echo $PATH: /home/yanlue_l/lcl/bin:/home/yanlue_l/lcl/bin:/usr/share/gridengine/bin/lx26-amd64:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/NX/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/pssc/bin:/opt/openmpi/bin:/opt/torque/bin:/opt/torque/sbin:/home/yanlue_l/bin:/home/yanlue_l/yanlue_l/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/bin
    export BLASTDB="$HOME/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/db"
    echo $BLASTDB
    output from echo: $BLASTDB: /home/yanlue_l/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/db

However, following these steps, I was still unable execute blastn by name from other directory (causing error message of -bash: blastn: command not found) and when test running the error correction tool, it was also shown that attempt to execute blastn has failed. Only when specifying the path to blastn file I can be able to execute blastn.

I have always used software package manager tool (LPM , developed by Masahiro Kasahara) to install BLAST+ when I do not have root permission however LPM wasn't able to perform the configuration of the extracted tarball after the update to BLAST+ 2.2.30.

Can anyone please kindly point out on the steps I have missed on the installation to make it work for the error correction tool (I wasn't trying to start a local blast)? Or the solution to install/configure BLAST+ correctly?

Thanks for the help =)

Have you checked to make sure that the blast programs have execute permissions (and also for bin directory, for all)?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
      Have you checked to make sure that the blast programs have execute permissions (and also for bin directory, for all)?
      Hi,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply, I checked the permission for all tools in the bin folder, all of them are "rwxr-xr-x", that should mean execute permission for all, is that correct? For the bin directory the permission are "drwxr-xr-x".

Thanks

Comment

Those permissions look ok. Is this directory ($HOME/yanlue_l/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/bin) available on the cluster nodes where this job is running? Are you running the cluster jobs using your account (or a different account)?

Comment

Those permissions look ok. Is this directory ($HOME/yanlue_l/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/bin) available on the cluster nodes where this job is running? Are you running the cluster jobs using your account (or a different account)?
          Hi,

Yes, I am running from the same account and the directory is in my account directory as well. I am unable to execute blastn anywhere else except in the bin folder and the log from the error correction run also shown the same error message (sh: blastn: command not found).

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by EulnayM View Post
            Hi,

Yes, I am running from the same account and the directory is in my account directory as well. I am unable to execute blastn anywhere else except in the bin folder and the log from the error correction run also shown the same error message (sh: blastn: command not found).

Thanks
            Are "which" or "locate" able to find full path for blastn?

Comment

Are "which" or "locate" able to find full path for blastn?
              Hi,

The full path for blastn is still located within the /home/yanlue_l/ncbi-blast-2.2.30+/bin folder when checked using "locate". However, I have solved the issue by obtaining a sudo right and copying the content in bin folder to /usr/local/bin. That solved the problem.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses