Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could anyone suggest me good whole genome alignment tools?

Hi, I've been working on population genetics with 1001 genome datasets (the size of A. thaliana genome is around 120 mb, as you know).

As a first attempt, I would like to perform the whole genome alignment for three genome assemblies to find synteny blocks among these accessions. The quality of each genome assembly is good in terms of N50, the number of scaffolds, and so on.

I was told about progressive cactus, which can perform the whole genome alignments. For few accessions, the tool seems to work well. The only problem is the runtime of alignments since I am going to put more datasets in the set of comparisons. According to my colleague, the progressive cactus is somehow slow.

Are there any time-efficient and user-friendly tools around for the whole genome alignment, which can deal with long reads or genome assemblies? For our cluster environment, the total memory consumption should be less than 1Tb.
    Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    =============================
    PhD Student

Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology
    Department of Molecular Biology
    Spemannstraße 37-39,
    D-72076 Tuebingen, Germany
    Last edited by abysslover; 06-23-2015, 09:54 AM.

Try Denom, http://mus.well.ox.ac.uk/19genomes/IMR-DENOM/#DENOM

or mummer package with nucmer (but this is slow).

Comment

Hi abysslover,

Were you able to align the genomes against each other? I currently have two plant de novo assemblies generated by Abyss and a reference genome from a closed related specie. I would like to align them against each other to and compare any genetic differences between the two. Can you please share what tools you used for the alignment and visualization? I would really appreciate your help.

Originally posted by abysslover View Post
      Hi, I've been working on population genetics with 1001 genome datasets (the size of A. thaliana genome is around 120 mb, as you know).

As a first attempt, I would like to perform the whole genome alignment for three genome assemblies to find synteny blocks among these accessions. The quality of each genome assembly is good in terms of N50, the number of scaffolds, and so on.

I was told about progressive cactus, which can perform the whole genome alignments. For few accessions, the tool seems to work well. The only problem is the runtime of alignments since I am going to put more datasets in the set of comparisons. According to my colleague, the progressive cactus is somehow slow.

Are there any time-efficient and user-friendly tools around for the whole genome alignment, which can deal with long reads or genome assemblies? For our cluster environment, the total memory consumption should be less than 1Tb.
      Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      =============================
      PhD Student

Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology
      Department of Molecular Biology
      Spemannstraße 37-39,
      D-72076 Tuebingen, Germany

Thank you,
      -Milo

Comment

Hi, Milo,

I am actually developing a whole genome alignment tool. Though scalabrin replied to my question, Denom is not fit for my purpose. I was able to align those scaffolds against each other by my own alignment algorithm. It reports the positions in the scaffolds and in the reference genome at the same time. I have not implemented a visualization tool yet.

cheers,
        Euncheon
        Last edited by abysslover; 07-14-2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Hello

I am a new user of IMR/DENOM, i have its all executable file and also install all needed softwares and its project file made, but it is not working. an error shows:-

Start at: Tue Jan 3 17:04:13 2017
          Script PATH: /home/genomics2/tools/imrdenom/scripts/x86_64/
          PICARD PATH: /home/genomics2/tools/imrdenom/external/
          Can't find the Picard, please install it first.

But picard is executable in terminal.
          Please help me how do I proceed.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by divya View Post
            Hello

I am a new user of IMR/DENOM, i have its all executable file and also install all needed softwares and its project file made, but it is not working. an error shows:-

Start at: Tue Jan 3 17:04:13 2017
            Script PATH: /home/genomics2/tools/imrdenom/scripts/x86_64/
            PICARD PATH: /home/genomics2/tools/imrdenom/external/
            Can't find the Picard, please install it first.

But picard is executable in terminal.
            Please help me how do I proceed.

Thanks
            Is PICARD path correct? What happens if you run "which picard"?

Comment

Thanks for your reply..

picard is in /usr/bin/picard

I give command
              imr easyrun -m bwa -q /home/genomics2/Desktop/divya/wgsdata/top/wgs.fastq
              Last edited by divya; 01-03-2017, 05:54 AM.

Comment

At a minimum PICARD PATH would need to be set to /usr/bin. Start with that.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses