No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAMERA Blast output - invalid XML?

Hi all,
    I've ran some of my datasets on the tBLASTx program on the CAMERA portal. Since the hit number was quite big, the portal let me download the output as a .xml file.
    Sadly, as I run blast_formatter on the .xml it appears to be an invalid file format: Galaxy tells me it's a simple .txt, instead of a .xml. How can I reformat it?

-MikeT

Can you show us the first 10 lines or so using the [ code ] and [ /code ] forum tags to preserve the formatting? Try using the Unix command 'head' for this,

head -n 10 example.xml

Comment

Here's a screenshot of the first lines:

Hope it helps!

-MikeT

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
        Here's a screenshot of the first lines:

Hope it helps!
        That does look like BLAST XML.

It is possible Galaxy failed to auto-detect the file type. You can set this explicitly when you upload a file to Galaxy. Or, after uploading from the history entry use the "pencil" icon ("edit attributes") to change the filetype.

Sadly, as I run blast_formatter on the .xml it appears to be an invalid file format
        The NCBI tool blast_formatter does not expect an XML input, rather an ASN.1 file.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
          That does look like BLAST XML.

It is possible Galaxy failed to auto-detect the file type. You can set this explicitly when you upload a file to Galaxy. Or, after uploading from the history entry use the "pencil" icon ("edit attributes") to change the filetype.
          Already tried, but when I do it and then use the "Parse BLAST output" command it still doesn't recognize the file as a .xml BLAST output.

Originally posted by maubp View Post
          The NCBI tool blast_formatter does not expect an XML input, rather an ASN.1 file.
          Are you sure? Because the -help section for the tool explicitly says that it expects some ASN.1 files and .XMLs. Anyway, how can I reformat my output as an ASN.1 file?

-MikeT

Comment

Already tried, but when I do it and then use the "Parse BLAST output" command it still doesn't recognize the file as a .xml BLAST output.
            In that case (assuming you are using the public Galaxy), write to the galaxy-users mailing list and offer to share a history with the problematic XML file with them for diagnosis.
            Are you sure? Because the -help section for the tool explicitly says that it expects some ASN.1 files and .XMLs. Anyway, how can I reformat my output as an ASN.1 file?
            I only have BLAST 2.2.25+ installed on this machine (the latest is now 2.2.26), and it doesn't say that in the 'blast_formatter -help' text. I doesn't say much at all about the -archive argument, but the website is pretty clear it expects a BLAST archive format (ASN.1) file: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1763/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses