No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAPdenovo-Trans: Seg fault

Hi guys,
    today i tried SOAPdenovo-trans to assemble some Illumina paired-end reads. I have 3 sets from 3 different conditions. 2 of the sets finished without a glitch. But the 3rd set just does not want to proceed. the program exits with a seg fault and no any other error msg. I found it crashes at the first stage:

-------------------------
    SOAPdenovo-Trans-31mer pregraph -K 31 -s config -o soap_out

The version 1.0: released on Nov 12th, 2011

In config, 1 libs, max seq len 76, max name len 256

8 thread created
    read from file:
    read1.fastq
    read from file:
    read2.fastq
    Segmentation fault
    ------------------------

Was digging on the net but found only hints about the length of the reads. Namely i had to check if all the reads are longer than 31bp. So i wrote a script and it seems all of them are longer than that. They are all 76bp.
    Also its not a memory issue as i have 64Gb on my machine and i see the program crashes before it even reaches 20Gb of used RAM.
    I also tried to reduce the k-mer to 29 but it crashes again, the same if i use SOAPdenovo-Trans-127mer with -K 31.

I have no idea how to proceed further tho.

I would appreciate any idea or hint on how to debug that!

Thank you!

PS: forgot to mention. My config is like that:
    ------------------------
    max_rd_len=76
    [LIB]
    avg_ins=280
    rank=1
    q1=read1.fastq
    q2=read2.fastq
    asm_flag=3
    reverse_seq=0

Hi there!

I oberserve similar problems. I have preprocessed Illimina PE RNA-seq data where I merged overlapping paired-end reads. I filtered out short reads and removed all reads containing Ns since SOAPdenovo-trans doesnt seem to like that. I still run into segfaults. Any ideas on how to put SOAPdenovo-trans into positive mood?

Comment

Hi everyone, i'm trying to run a SOAPdenovo-trans assembly but i don't know how to use de configuration file and finally execute the assembly, i don't know about the details of the file like the meaning of max_rd_len, avg_ins, rank, asm_flag, reverse_seq. Could you help me with this?

Best regards!

Comment

Hi kenietz and mariof. I have exactly the same problem. I was running soapdenovotrans for 25 Illumina libraries together in a machine with 200Gb RAM and it crashed reaching 4Gb of RAM... so I don´t know what it is going on... mariof, do we know each other maybe?

Comment

Was SOAPdenovo compiled with 64-bit support on the machine you are trying to run it on?

Comment

Originally posted by kenietz View Post
            Hi guys,
            today i tried SOAPdenovo-trans to assemble some Illumina paired-end reads. I have 3 sets from 3 different conditions. 2 of the sets finished without a glitch. But the 3rd set just does not want to proceed. the program exits with a seg fault and no any other error msg. I found it crashes at the first stage:

-------------------------
            SOAPdenovo-Trans-31mer pregraph -K 31 -s config -o soap_out

The version 1.0: released on Nov 12th, 2011

In config, 1 libs, max seq len 76, max name len 256

8 thread created
            read from file:
            read1.fastq
            read from file:
            read2.fastq
            Segmentation fault
            ------------------------
            Hi all,
            According to my recent experience at Soapdenovo2 assembler, I found the Core dumpe (Seg fault) would have some relations with the input data.
            When I conducted Soapdenovo assembly using PE reads with quality filtering(fastx,q30p90), 5'-end (first 12nt) and adapters trimmg, everything was ok (N50 was 2K).
            Then, I did errors correction and trimming (seems trim the 3'-end) by using Soapec (parameters:-k 17 –x 8 –r 60 -Q 33), and Seg fault problem arised from 1st stage of Soapdenovo2.
            Is there anyone can explain why this happened?
            I'm a PhD candidate in rice breeding and absolutely a newcomer to NGS, I'm trying to detect SVs/CNVs between several rice cultivars through de novo assembly (all samples' raw reads would be ~35 fold in depth). If someone can give me some suggestions ?
            Thank you for anyone's patiently answering.
            Last edited by lovenlong; 05-31-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses