Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred method for differential gene expression analysis?

Hi all,

So based on [1] I have implemented edgeR, except using the robust method of estimating the dispersion [2].

However having previously worked with non-parametric statistical methodology my attention has fallen on [3].

I am new to the whole NGS/RNASeq world and therefore it would be great to get some input reg. which method you prefer for differential gene expression analysis and why?

Cheers,
    Leon

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23975260
    2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24753412
    3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23981227

Review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24020486
    Slightly related review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22988256

Personally: I use cuffdiff, mainly because it works without a hazzle, is fast, and doesn't require much additional effort for the input.
    And I don't know R ^^.

Comment

Originally posted by bastianwur View Post
      Review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24020486
      Slightly related review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22988256

Personally: I use cuffdiff, mainly because it works without a hazzle, is fast, and doesn't require much additional effort for the input.
      And I don't know R ^^.
      Hi bastianwur,

Thanks for the references, it seems that the consensus is that no method is better than another, each having its unique strengths and weaknesses.

Which basically means that scientists are likely to choose the one they "like" for whatever reason, ease of use, prior experience etc... Not a very scientific approach imho...

Cheers,
      Leon

Comment

No offence btw. it's just frustrating not being able to get clear cut answer reg. which method is the better

Cheers,
        Leon

Comment

That's because there *is* no clear cut answer

- If you have a complex design (more than one experimental factor varies), you want to use limma, edgeR or DESeq2. All reviews tend to agree that these are OK. I tend to favor DESeq2.

- Most reviews agree that CuffDiff is pretty bad.

- When you have many biological replicates, SAMSeq (a nonparametric method) is a good alternative.

- Ballgown can do DE analysis on novel transcripts and isoforms (because it's run on an assembly).

- Single-cell RNA-seq needs special considerations.

And so on ...

Comment

Originally posted by kopi-o View Post
            That's because there *is* no clear cut answer

- If you have a complex design (more than one experimental factor varies), you want to use limma, edgeR or DESeq2. All reviews tend to agree that these are OK. I tend to favor DESeq2.

- Most reviews agree that CuffDiff is pretty bad.

- When you have many biological replicates, SAMSeq (a nonparametric method) is a good alternative.

- Ballgown can do DE analysis on novel transcripts and isoforms (because it's run on an assembly).

- Single-cell RNA-seq needs special considerations.

And so on ...
            I understand and accept that "there *is* no clear cut answer", my acceptance however does not dampen my frustrations

My setup is the following 96 RNA-seq sample run on Illumina HiSeq2000 using the Illumina TruSeq Stranded mRNA Sample Prep Kit. ~1 case per 4 controls.

I have done autmated QC'ing using Trim Galore! followed by mapping to UCSC hg19 using TopHat2 and then counted mapped reads using HTSeq. Each raw fastq-file contain ~60-80 mio. reads.

My current analysis of differentially expressed genes have been performed using edgeR Robust by Zhou et al. (10.1093/nar/gku310) and the workflow described by Anders et al. (doi:10.1038/nprot.2013.099)

Newbie here... Am I all good or do you have "crucial" input? ...and could you elaborate on the "complex" versus "simple" design?

Cheers,
            Leon
            Last edited by LeonDK; 09-24-2014, 01:08 AM. Reason: Forgot to include mapper

Comment

Originally posted by LeonDK View Post
              No offence btw. it's just frustrating not being able to get clear cut answer reg. which method is the better

Cheers,
              Leon
              No offence taken, because as kopi-o said: There's no science yet in that part.
              Just use the things which work for you and which give you the results you want (yes, I'm maybe naive, lazy, and a bad scientist, but well...in that case I'm fine with it).

Workflow seems so far normal, incorporates everything (no idea if trimgalore also does adapter trimming, but if so: good)...wait...besides rRNA filtering.
              That seems to be missing.

complex design probably means time series and complicated relations between the conditions. No idea what your 96 samples are, but it probably qualifies.

Comment

Originally posted by bastianwur View Post
                (no idea if trimgalore also does adapter trimming, but if so: good)
                It trims adapters.

Comment

Newbie here... Am I all good or do you have "crucial" input? ...and could you elaborate on the "complex" versus "simple" design?
                  I think your approach seems sound.

By "complex" design I mean that there is more than one experimental factor that varies. For example, let's say you are looking at RNA-seq of tumor and paired normal tissue samples in several individuals. You *could* just compare the tumor vs normal groups, but you would get more statistical power by also considering which patient each sample is from - in other words, you'd model two factors, "individual" and "tumor/normal". This particular case would be a paired design ("paired" because you have "paired" tumor and normal samples from the same patient). This can be done in edgeR, limma, DESeq2, and in fact SAMSeq as well. If you do not use a paired analysis, natural variation between individuals can easily overwhelm the specific signal from the tumor vs tissue differences.

A more complex design could be a case where you have tumor cultures that have been treated with 3 different drugs at 3 different time points, with matched normals. Here you would perhaps want to model three different factors. It's this kind of scenario that you really need edgeR/DESeq2/limma for.

Comment

Originally posted by kopi-o View Post
                    I think your approach seems sound.

By "complex" design I mean that there is more than one experimental factor that varies. For example, let's say you are looking at RNA-seq of tumor and paired normal tissue samples in several individuals. You *could* just compare the tumor vs normal groups, but you would get more statistical power by also considering which patient each sample is from - in other words, you'd model two factors, "individual" and "tumor/normal". This particular case would be a paired design ("paired" because you have "paired" tumor and normal samples from the same patient). This can be done in edgeR, limma, DESeq2, and in fact SAMSeq as well. If you do not use a paired analysis, natural variation between individuals can easily overwhelm the specific signal from the tumor vs tissue differences.

A more complex design could be a case where you have tumor cultures that have been treated with 3 different drugs at 3 different time points, with matched normals. Here you would perhaps want to model three different factors. It's this kind of scenario that you really need edgeR/DESeq2/limma for.
                    Super description - Appreciate it!

My setup is RNA-seq data from two groups: Group A from sick individuals and group B from healthy individuals and then I want to profile any gene expression differences

Cheers,
                    Leon

Comment

Keep in mind that batch effects (they're inevitable) are easily handled by more complex designs as well. You also might benefit by stratifying patients & controls by gender or ethnicity or age or ... . An initially simple design can quickly become more complicated if someone forgot to take care of a factor during sample acquisition.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses