No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with sensitivity analysis of somatic variant caller

Hello!

I'm working on somatic variant identification from cancer samples. So, I try to simulate Illumina paired-end read with known variants by using VarSim (http://bioinform.github.io/varsim/), which this tools can simulate the human genome with both germline and somatic mutations (use ART tool as a simulator). In addition, I had simulated tumor reads by vary allele frequency in the range of 0.1 - 0.5.

As this paper "Detecting somatic point mutations in cancer genome sequencing data: a comparison of mutation callers" (DOI: 10.1186/gm495) mentioned about the sensitivity of any somatic variant caller including MuTect, SomaticSniper, VarScan, Strelka, and JointSNVMix. I had followed the command of any tools that they provide in supplement to calling somatic variations. However, the sensitivity is quite low when compare with their reports. The maximum is around 0.9 at allele frequency equal to 0.5 (MuTect) while at allele frequency equal to 0.5 (MuTect) I got the sensitivity just 0.7 (my simulated reads are chr22).

So, I have no idea that why the results are very different, even I use only chr22 but I think the results shouldn't be much different.

Additional, I aligned the reads by using bwa-mem then mark duplicates with Picard-tool and realigned, recalibration with GATK

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses