Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cycle number? Indexing/enrichment NEBNext

I'm preparing dual-indexed libraries using NEBNext Ultra Library Prep for targeted resequencing on Illumina MiSeq and can't decide on the number of PCR cycles to use. I started the library preparation with 500ng of input DNA (custom amplicons). After the adapter ligation and bead clean-up I quantified my samples again (only quantified 9 random samples out of all 80) and found concentrations between 180 and 450 ng total DNA.

I'm looking for two pieces of advice. First, what is a good amount of DNA to use in the final enrichment? The protocol says to use it all of the adapter ligated DNA fragments, but I wonder if I could get away with only using a portion, just in case I need to repeat the enrichment step. And my second question is, how should one choose a good number of cycles for the enrichment step?

I have not spoken with NEB about these particular questions yet. However, when I contacted them previously about how much starting amplicon DNA to use, NEB tech support said, "For example if you are using 100ng of amplicons as starting material you may want to try about 4-5 cycles of PCR. I would expect that amplicons may need less cycles of PCR than our recommendations in the manual."

Given that I started with 500 ng of amplicon DNA and don't seem to have lost a great deal of DNA through the preparations so far I'm not sure how many cycles to use. Because my starting material was amplicons I would like to minimize as much additional bias as possible by limiting the number of enrichment cycles.

Thank you for any advice you may have.

I am not sure which of the following you are going to do:
    1- You have amplified target regions by PCR using target specific primers and ligated them to Illumina adapters and you are going to pool them for sequencing directly
    2- You are going to do some enrichment by sequence capture (like Agilent SureSelect) and use those adapted libraries as pool in hybridisation step of capture

Comment

Option 1. I have amplified target regions by PCR using specific primers and lighted them to Illumina adapters. Before these can be pooled for sequencing is the final step (and the one in question), to do a PCR 'enrichment' of those adapter lighted fragments using dual indexed primers. The NEB protocol says to use between 4 and 12 cycles depending on input DNA but their recommendations are not made for amplicon inputs, only for fragmented DNA.

Comment

You can use 100 ng of each in PCR and do 5 cycles. Assuming 10% ligation efficiency you would expect around 300 ng yield. On the other hand 20 ul of 5 nM library is more than enough for qPCR and clustering. Quntifying yield after 5 cycles will indicated if and how many more cycles needed.

Comment

thanks

Thanks nucacidhunter I'm going to go for it and will report back

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses