No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks, differentially expressed genes

Hi,

I am trying to run edgeR or DEGseq using the output from cufflinks.
    I usually use mapped reads count as an input to edgeR or DEGseq. What cufflinks output do I need to use for an input to edgeR or DEGseq? I am thinking about adding "coverage" of each isoform for a gene from isoforms.fpkm_tracking file. Does this make sense?

Thank you!

edgeR and DEGseq take raw counts. They then do their own normalizations. Taking results from cufflinks and trying to use this in any of these programs is not a good approach, even though a lot of people try it for some reason. If you want to use the output of Cufflinks for differential expression, then I would stick to the Cufflinks pipeline and use Cuffdiff.

Otherwise, extract read counts for each gene from your bam/sam/bed file and use this as input for edgeR/DEGseq.

Comment

I agree that we'd better stick to cuffdiff for differentially expressed gene analysis. Doe cuffdiff have "paired"-analysis feature for the data with replicates? The paired-analysis feature is the main reason I want to use edgeR.

Comment

Cuffdiff supports replicates but does not handle paired replicates to my knowledge.

Btw, I would recommend using DESeq instead of DEGseq, the spelling is similar but the internal statistical modelling is very different.
        Last edited by Thomas Doktor; 02-02-2012, 04:14 AM.

Comment

how many replicates in each condition do you have?

you could also use SAMseq (samr v2 R-package). this package works with many kinds of designs: paired, quantitative, right censored (like overall survival).
          in my hands, SAMseq produced most significant genes (followed by edgeR, baySeq, DESeq, NOIseq, and far far behind cuffdiff) , which were rather robust in bootstrap validations.

my design: 12 normal vs 12 cancer (paired, means from the same patient).

Comment

Hello guys,
            if anyone knows, could you please tell me why is this happening:

i ran cufflinks on galaxy with default parameters and had satisfactory results.
            I then ran the same samples with same parameters except changing max intron length from 300000 to 600000

in the second run have the exact number of transcripts but the FPKM values are much much lower..

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
            ibseq

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses