No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error using sff_extract.

Hi,
    i m trying to extract fasta, qual and xml files from .sff file using sff_extract.

I have just all the provided commands for extraction, Following commands have been used.

sff_extract filename.sff

sff_extract -o filename.sff

$ sff_extract -s seq.fasta -q qual.fasta -x anci.xml my_454_file.sff

With all the above commands, i get the same error message: "struct.error: unpack requires a string argument of length 1600"
    How i can remove this error?

This suggests either the SFF file is damaged (e.g. truncated due to a problem downloading - try redownloading it), or doesn't quite follow the standard sff_extract is expecting. Is this an original unmodified SFF file from your sequencing center?

Do you have the (Linux only) Roche tools to test with?

Comment

yes this is the original file from the sequencing centre.
      and i dnt have the roche tools to test with.

Comment

Getting the Roche "Newbler" tools is quite easy, assuming you have a suitable Linux machine to run them on. See:
        Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

However, in the short term as mentioned above, I would strongly suggest you try re-downloading the SFF file from the sequencing center, or at least confirm you got the whole file by checking the filesize.

P.S. Seeing the whole error message might help.

Comment

Is it possible to get error in sff_extract when there is no vector used in the 454 sequencing.
          As i know that the centre from which my data is coming they are not using any vector for sequencing. But A and B adapters are used. so is it still compulsory to screen the sequences and extract the fasta, qual and xml files from the sff file. and second thing do i have to perform the sequence masking for the tag sequence after the extraction of these three files? or only one of the above two steps is required.

Comment

Do you have an example SFF file with no vector used in the 454 sequencing that breaks sff_extract that you could share? I'd like to use it to check the SFF support in Biopython.

(Regarding the rest of your question, it probably depends on what you are going to do next - if you are using MIRA then it might be easier to ask on the mira_talk mailing list)

Comment

Yes i have the file that breaks sff_extract.
              Can u send me ur email id?

Comment

After chatting to Mona privately, it does sound like the original problem was a partial SFF file. The full file works fine with sff_extract

Comment

Yes exactly.
                  Thnx maubp!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses