6444347 + 0 mapped (13.13%:nan%)
    49080460 + 0 paired in sequencing
    45547041 + 0 read1  
    3533419 + 0 read2   
    5822436 + 0 properly paired (11.86%:nan%)  ***
    5822436 + 0 with itself and mate mapped
    621911 + 0 singletons (1.27%:nan%)
    Good day.

I would like to parse the paired reads (***) from PCR duplicates removed sorted BAM files. I knew SAMtools or Picard tools can do that, however, I'm not sure what function or what option I should use.

Could anyone kindly please contribute the idea(s) or command line(s) or advice?

Thank you very much.

PCR duplicates are marked in SAM/BAM as part of the read's FLAG entry (one of the bits).

You can use 'samtools view' with the -f and/or -F switches to filter reads based on their FLAG values.

By default 'samtools view' does BAM to SAM, but it can do SAM to SAM or BAM to BAM as well which is more sensible for filtering.

Comment

What exactly are you trying to parse?

You can use samtools view and filter by flags (-f or -F) to break out particular kinds of reads based ontheri flags. You can use samtools view to make a .sam, and pipe that straight into a program like awk or grep.

Code:
      samtools view file.bam | grep whatever - > grepped.sam

Comment

I want to exclude unmapped reads from the PCR duplicates removed BAM file (done by Picard MarkDuplicates tools) before carry on to downstream analysis. Thanks for the replied and suggestions. Appreciate that!

Comment

Code:
          samtools view -bF 4 file.bam > mapped.bam
          will make a new .bam that has only mapped reads.

the -F 4 means that it will exclude entries in your .bam that have the 4 flagged in the binary flag; 4 is the code for unmapped read. The -b means that it will output a .bam, instead of a .sam, which is the default behavior for samtools view.

Comment

Thanks for the code and the explanation. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses