SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blat installation error on Mac OS X rahularjun86 Bioinformatics 2 11-25-2018 07:33 PM
PAGIT installation jwag Bioinformatics 5 07-29-2013 09:47 AM
TGICL installation mac jfernandezt Bioinformatics 0 06-13-2012 06:30 AM
Cufflink-1.0.2 after version installation problem on Mac yh253 Bioinformatics 0 12-18-2011 06:21 AM
Tophat installation on Mac G5 chadn737 Bioinformatics 0 09-26-2011 09:47 AM

Old 06-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
akjones

Default PAGIT Installation for Mac

Hello all,

I am trying to install PAGIT onto my Mac (OSX 10.7.5). The instructions on the Sanger website (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/pagit/) say to install a virtual box first, I do have a version of virtual box on the computer already but it is not the most recent. The instructions also then say "Download the PAGIT virtual machine required for your operating system. Click on either the Virtual Machine 32 bit or the Virtual Machine 64 bit link above. " I need answers to a few things specifically: 1) Do I need the most recent version of VirtualBox or will the previous version work? 2) What is the difference between VirtualBox and the virtual pagit machine I need to install? 3) How do I know which version of the virtual machine is required for my operating system and what is the difference between the 32 bit and the 64 bit?

I realize I probably sound like a moron to any computer scientists in the audience, so I apologize. I'm a bench scientist and very new to bioinformatics. Your patience and feedback is very much appreciated.

~akjones
akjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
ThomasDOtto

Quote:
Originally Posted by akjones View Post
1) Do I need the most recent version of VirtualBox or will the previous version work? 2) What is the difference between VirtualBox and the virtual pagit machine I need to install? 3) How do I know which version of the virtual machine is required for my operating system and what is the difference between the 32 bit and the 64 bit?
Sorry for the late reply, and from your other query I assume to solved the problem.
1) Basically, I don't know how compatible the different versions are. Just give it a go
2) The Virtualbox is the program that will run the virtual machine (on which pagit is installed)
3) This depends on your machine. A 64bit processor should run a 32 bit machine without problem, but not the other way around.

I hope this helps,
Thomas
ThomasDOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
akjones

Hi Thomas,

I did figure out the installation part, but thanks for your reply.
akjones is offline   Reply With Quote