SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to processing ENCODE small RNA-seq data dzmtnvmt Bioinformatics 4 05-14-2013 07:23 AM
Reproduce genome coverage of ENCODE-CSHL Long RNA-seq data, but failed? josephyan RNA Sequencing 1 10-31-2012 04:51 PM
Question: Information about the Caltech RNA-Seq data on ENCODE and its corresponding tmy1018 Bioinformatics 1 08-15-2012 01:04 PM
is is possible to visualize RNA-seq data in UCSC genome browser(ENCODE)? HSV-1 RNA Sequencing 5 07-21-2012 07:24 PM

Old 08-15-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
juliacc

Default Question about running Cufflinks on ENCODE RNA-Seq data

Hello,

I'm new in the community but I found many helpful posts in the past, so here is my question.

I downloaded around 60 .bam files from the ENCODE repository. The header size was giving problems and I converted them to .sam as one of the answers in these thread suggested.

Code:
samtools view -h -o file.sam file.bam
And when I run Cufflinks I get many lines with this error:

SAM error on line 862765: found spliced alignment without XS attribute

I am executing this on batch, so it is still running and, for some files, Cufflinks finish and produces the gene count, for other files I am not sure if it just hasn't finished yet.

I've been reading many posts about the XS attribute, but I don't know why would it be missing if I just converted from .bam to .sam. And would you know if it affects the read counts for genes?

Thank you,
Julia
juliacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
AmitPande

Did you find a solution yet ? Even I am facing the same prolem with ENCODE RNAseq data
AmitPande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
bye

Not sure how this error will affect the counts, but it's not hard to add XS tags.

Code:
samtools view -Xh yourfile.bam | awk -F"\t" '{if(NF<7)print $0; if($2~"P"&&$2!~"r"){print $0"\tXS:A:+"}else if($2~"P"&&$2~"r"){print $0"\tXS:A:-"}else{print $0}}' > yourfile.xs.sam
XS tags label the strand of alignment; samtools view -X will convert the flags into human readable format, then you can add strand information accordingly.
bye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cufflinks, encode, sam, xs attribute