Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to compare two hsps with each other?

Hi there! I have small problem.

Within BioPerl I use SearchIO to parse my BLAST-output. Within this, the output is a result, which contain Hits, which contain HSPs.

How can I compare two HSPs with each other?
    The two HSPs i want to compare are the current one and the ones before. If the current one is longer than the one before and is on the same place on the Query as the HSP before, i want to keep the current HSP and replace the old one (e.g. in an array).
    I want to do that for all hits for one query entry, so that i have a maximum of one hit on one range of the query.

Thanks for any help in advance!

For reference: http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO

Hi Petrichor,

by default BLAST hits with multiple HSPs to the same subject are sorted by bit score in descending order, i.e. the best (and usually longest) HSP is topmost.

Here is what I have done in the past to extract these:

1. Generate tabular BLAST output (use "-outfmt 6" option in BLAST+ executables)
    2. Load this into Excel or whatever you use to view spreadsheets
    3. Remove duplicates based on the subject column. This should get rid of any secondary HSPs for each subject, and leave only topmost ones, as the output is already sorted. If there are more than two HSPs per subject you may need to repeat this until you are left with just one each.

cheers

Micha

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses