SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Error with MarkDuplicates in Picard slowsmile Bioinformatics 13 11-01-2015 04:16 AM
How to use Picard's MarkDuplicates cliff Bioinformatics 12 01-26-2015 11:56 PM
Picard's MarkDuplicates -> OutOfMemoryError elgor Bioinformatics 15 08-05-2013 07:37 AM
MarkDuplicates in picard bair Bioinformatics 3 12-23-2010 12:00 PM
picard markduplicates on huge files rcorbett Bioinformatics 2 09-17-2010 05:39 AM

Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
wangzkai

Default Picard MarkDuplicates

This may be a naive question, but I was trying to figure out whether I should set "REMOVE_DUPLICATES" to true or false when using picard's "MarkDuplicates" to remove duplicate reads. Since I want to subsequently call variants using samtools pileup, I am not sure whether samtools pileup will then remove from consideration these duplicate reads that are marked by flags when it calls SNPs.

By setting the "REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true", my understanding is that the duplicates read will not even be written to the output file, which sounds a bit safer ...

Thanks for any insight on this!
wangzkai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
nilshomer
Nils Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangzkai View Post
This may be a naive question, but I was trying to figure out whether I should set "REMOVE_DUPLICATES" to true or false when using picard's "MarkDuplicates" to remove duplicate reads. Since I want to subsequently call variants using samtools pileup, I am not sure whether samtools pileup will then remove from consideration these duplicate reads that are marked by flags when it calls SNPs.

By setting the "REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true", my understanding is that the duplicates read will not even be written to the output file, which sounds a bit safer ...

Thanks for any insight on this!
Save the duplicates so you never lose any data. You can them use the "-m" option in 'samtools pileup' to filter reads based on their flag (including duplicates: 0x400). If you need to make sure that your "FLAG" is set correctly, see http://picard.sourceforge.net/explain-flags.html.
nilshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
xguo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilshomer View Post
Save the duplicates so you never lose any data. You can them use the "-m" option in 'samtools pileup' to filter reads based on their flag (including duplicates: 0x400). If you need to make sure that your "FLAG" is set correctly, see http://picard.sourceforge.net/explain-flags.html.
Is the read flag included in pileup file? I'm thinking to call SNP using all reads and then filter them based on the number of non-duplicate reads supporting a SNP.
xguo is offline   Reply With Quote