SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Degenerate collapsing of specific motifs drhicks Bioinformatics 0 09-27-2014 11:41 AM
HTSeq to calculate strand specific coverage of pe reads moser Bioinformatics 3 05-02-2014 03:44 AM
Read coverage for specific region of the genome Kaas Bioinformatics 4 09-03-2013 03:36 PM
Automate nucleotide-specific coverage retrieval from BAMs? Alphred Bioinformatics 7 03-01-2013 04:26 PM

Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
drea11

Default Evaluate coverage of specific motifs

Is there a method out there that would allow me to determine whether a particular sequence motif (DNA) has adequate sequencing depth of coverage across a genome? What I am interested in seeing is whether or not any specific sequence motifs are associated with decreased levels of sequencing coverage across the genome. I have illumina miseq data, and can see one of two ways of doing this. 1) I identify regions with low coverage, identify motifs within these regions that are common between all or most of these regions, then compare them to random other equally sized regions in the genome. Or 2) I randomly generate kmers across the genome, and then evaluate the sequencing coverage across these kmers and determine if any have significantly lower values than the others. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before, and whether there might be a tool that has been created to do this?
Thanks
drea11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
diego diaz

This is a possible solution,

1) Create a FASTA file with your motifs.
2) Map your motifs to your reference genome (with BLAST, BLAT or even bowtie) to get motif coordinates, then, transform this coordinates into a bed file.
3) Use bedtools coverage to calculate the depth in the motif regions (Example : bedtools coverage -aBam mapping_file.bam -b motif_coords.bed)

I hope that helps !
diego diaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth of coverage, k-mers, motif