Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer sequence search

Hi I want to pop this post up. Though this is not exactly my question but related. Actually I have few primer sequences, and I want to blast them to specific species strains.

My primer sequences looks like
    27Fmod
    V1+V2+V3
    AGRGTTTGATCMTGGCTCAG
    ill519Rmod
    V1+V2+V3
    GTNTTACNGCGGCKGCTG
    And I want to check them against B.bifidum,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/U25952.1
    First as a newbie, I tried direct blastn agains blast formatted B.bifidum strain. But then realise in the primers there are many other letters as M,R,G besides A,T,C,G;
    So no wonder I don’t get a direct match with blastn. Can anybody please suggest me how should I proceed.
    Thanks a lot, Mitra
    Last edited by GenoMax; 02-01-2016, 11:33 AM. Reason: Moved the question to a new thread

If you have BioPerl available, you could use DISPR (Degenerate In-Silico PcR), which handles degenerate primers just as you have and searches directly within your sequence set of interest.

Degenerate In-Silico PcR. Contribute to douglasgscofield/dispr development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Thanks dgscofield. I will take a close look to explore this. As a newbie seems will take a bit of time. Thanks

Comment

Primer-blast

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/tools/primer-blast/

Primer-BLAST was developed at NCBI to help users make primers that are specific to the input PCR template. It uses Primer3 to design PCR primers and then submits them to BLAST search against user-selected database. The blast results are then automatically analyzed to avoid primer pairs that can cause amplification of targets other than the input template.

Comment

@smitra: Bifidobacterium bifidum (taxid:1681) is available as an option for primer-blast @NCBI (choose "Genome: chromosomes from all organisms" database). That would be the easiest option as pointed out by @m_two.

Note: Bifidobacterium bifidum KCTC 3202 does not appear to be in the options list but perhaps there is an alternate ID (there are multiple bifidum strains) you could use.
          Last edited by GenoMax; 02-02-2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Hello GenoMax and m_two,
            I have been exploring primer blast. But from the tutorials and info, I could only find the ways to design primer using primer blast. But didn't manage to find how can I check or blast my existing primers against the Ref.
            If I paste my primers in the Primer Parameters section and select the Bifidobacterium bifidum (taxid:1681) as Ref. Then how can I do that blast? Clicking Get primers is not the option that I want.
            Any help will be really great. Thanks,smitra

Comment

It appears the primer-blast @NCBI does not accept IUPAC codes so that is not going to work. I don't think blat accepts IUPAC codes either. So we will need some other option here.

@smitra: Is that a real example of a primer pair that is posted in #1? If not can you post a real pair?
              Last edited by GenoMax; 02-05-2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Dear Genomax,
                Thanks for your reply. Yes this is the point I am struggling. Seems like I need to write a code to get all possible combination of IUPAC codes then to local blast all against desired species. But I was hoping there are already something out there, if people need to check such primers.

And yes...they are real pair of primers. Actually I need to check three pairs. As pasted bellow

Primer code 16S rRNA gene hypervariable region targeted Primer sequence
                27Fmod V1+V2+V3 AGRGTTTGATCMTGGCTCAG
                ill519Rmod V1+V2+V3 GTNTTACNGCGGCKGCTG

530R V4+V5 GTGCCAGCMGCNGCGG
                bac926R V4+V5 CCGTCAATTYYTTTRAGTTT

926F V6+V7+V8 AAACTYAAAKGAATTGACGG
                bac1394R V6+V7+V8 ACGGGCGGTGTGTRC
                Thanks for helping, smitra
                Last edited by smitra; 02-05-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Found this thread which can atleast generate the primer combinations you need: https://www.biostars.org/p/6219/

Comment

Looks good. I will try this. Thanks GenoMax

Comment

The perl code works fine. Only needed to add M. Thanks

Now that I got my combination sequences, I am wondering if I do a local blast directly against the ref species , should I use the complement of these sequences..as these are primers after all. so complement should match right?
                      Last edited by smitra; 02-05-2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses