SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cufflinks reports extremely high FPKMs for short transcripts cram Bioinformatics 10 11-24-2014 04:24 PM
cuffdiff: high-confidence transcripts? mrfox Bioinformatics 0 12-09-2010 01:51 PM
TopHat & Cufflinks failing to assemble full length transcripts jlhaner Bioinformatics 3 10-13-2010 10:46 AM
low 454 coverage combined with high solexa coverage strob Bioinformatics 7 10-07-2010 10:14 AM
cufflinks assemble syslm01 Bioinformatics 0 05-05-2010 03:43 AM

Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
apratap

Smile cufflinks not able to assemble transcripts in high read coverage area

Hey Guys

I am using cufflinks for building transcriptome. I am seeing some regions where in-silico model predictions is re-affirmed by RNA-Seq data but however cufflinks or scripture is not able to assemble a transcript.

Is there anything that we can do to improve the sensitivity of cufflinks.

Here is a snapshot of on such example.

PS: this message was also cross posted on Biostar but unfortunately I didn't get any response there.

Thanks!
-Abhi
apratap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Wallysb01

You can increase the -L option to filter out a higher isoform fraction. This should help with not including unspliced introns. Also, increasing -j will help the same thing.

Though its not as related to your specific question, I've increased the --min-frags-per-transfrag option to reduce the number of transcripts called.

I've found this RABT assembly to be pretty messy no matter what parameters I fiddled with. If you're really concerned with creating the best annotations you can, you should probably use ABySS and trans-ABySS. Its a lot of work, but I'm starting to get some very good results.
Wallysb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
apratap

@Wallysb01 : Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure how -j could help as the number of reads that seem to mapping to intronic regions for this particular gene is very less compared to spliced reads.

Also wats a RABT assembly ?

I am interested in knowing any specific reason why you find ABySS and trans-ABySS to do a better job ?

Thanks!
-Abhi
apratap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cufflinks, rna-seq, transcript assembly