No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on solexa genomic dna libraries

Appreciate any help on this.

I am following the Genomic Dna Library protocol from Solexa. In the final step (step 6) which amplifies the adapter enriched products from the gel by pcr, Solexa uses Phusion Dna Polymerase. For some reason, this step does not always work for me as I do not get any pcr bands in my region (250bp). I did the first few times with my control, but it does not always work with my actual samples. I will increase my cycles from 18 to 22 and see what that does, but are there alternatives I can try to the Phusion DNA polymerase? Will any DNA polymerase suffice? I was thinking of using the Taq DNA polymerase I use in my other PCR (non-solexa related) and I know works. Have others have tried using polymerases besides the Phusion that solexa provides?

I think any high-fidelity enzyme should be OK. But I think the reason is probably not the polymerase. It should work. Are you recovering enough DNA from the size-selection step?

Scott.

Comment

By size selection step, do you mean the gel that is run in step 5?

Lately, I have been running a gel after every step to confirm DNA has sheared properly, ligated properly etc. These gels look fine in that they all show DNA material in each lane or a specific bp range so I can only see it is something in the last step.

I don't know if it makes sense to run a gel right before I do the PCR as I have not done that. Will this gel confirm if I have recovered enough DNA material for the PCR step?

Comment

Yes, I mean the gel extraction step.

Do you have access to a small-volume spectrophotometer like a Nanodrop, or a fluorimeter like a Quant-iT for example?

Do you see anything on your gel after the PCR?

Comment

I guess there may be some problem in end repair and adapter ligation. If the adapter were not able to be ligated with your DNA fragments effeciently, you would not get enough PCR product.

Comment

Ok, I will measure DNA concentration after gel extraction step and see what this shows me.

My other question is, I have been running a gel after each step. I see DNA material and confirms to me that my column spins are eluting DNA. I have also been trying to compare what each gel looks like in each step. Would running a gel after end repair and adapter ligation show that step has worked? Or what would give me a confirmation that each step has worked properly before I run the PCR?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses