No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiking custom primers failed on Miseq runs

Hi all,

I would like to know if somebody encountered the same problem as we do at the moment.
    Since Mid February we are no longer able to spike our Fluidigm custom primers (CS1 and CS2) into the Illumina primers (Miseq V2 nano kit 500 cycles).
    We tried now 4 times with different libraries and also with a library that worked before but got no results but PhiX reads.
    When we used the CS1 and CS2 primers as custom primers alone the library was read as usual.
    We tested the primers with our libraries in a normal pcr and they gave perfectly strong signals.

Thanks

Have you tried new aliquots of the primers? PCR would work but sequencing fail if the primers are mixed up (R1 in R2 well, R2 in R1 well)
    Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

As usual, in the beginning we were assuming the error to be on our side and we had the same idea: mixed primer directions. But we have used the same primers without Illumina primers as custom read primers and they worked.
      And we spiked the Fluidigm primers as pairs into Illumina primers and this did not work.
      We just wonder if we are the only ones having troubles or if this is something new and others are struggling the same way?

Comment

you could order the primers that hit phix and put those with your custom primers in the custom primer wells.

These are the primers that should hit phiX (I haven't tested them but this is what FAS told me to order)

Illumina.phix.R1
        ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT

Illumina.phix.R2
        CGGTCTCGGCATTCCTGCTGAACCGCTCTTCCGATCT
        Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

This is a very good idea! Thanks, I will definitely try it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses