No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covaris M220 or S220?

Hi all!

Working in a lab about to install the HiSeq system.

We expect a throughput of about 48 samples a week.

But we are stuggling what shearing unit to buy; the Covaris M220 or the Covaris S220?

Anyone that have an opinion about this feel free to respond.

erl

Unhelpful off topic commercial content deleted
    Last edited by ECO; 08-07-2012, 02:41 PM. Reason: Unhelpful off topic commercial content deleted

Comment

Originally posted by dalib View Post
      Unhelpful off topic commerical content deleted
      Hey Dalib! This type of post isn't good internet etiquette, and isn't acceptable here. Either answer his question, or post commercial content in the Vendor Forum.

Thanks!

Comment

To try to be helpful, 48 all at once? Or staggered throughout the week?

The big 96-well systems are a huge step up in investment for that low of throughput if it's sprinkled throughout the week. The single tube system could totally handle that much if so. But the 96-well system is _great_ for reproducibility and walk-away automation, and will definitely give you a lot of room to grow. We don't think twice about shearing full plates now...toss it in in the PM and it's waiting for you in the morning.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies, but I am sure we would not need a 96 well systeme and we will not have an bioruptor.

Both M- and S- series machine from covaris is single tube systemes, but the M-series is half the price of the S-series. So is the M-series just a cheap version of the S-series, but is it giving the same quality results?

erlandsen

Comment

Looks like the M220 needs pricier microtubes (40% higher price). They might allow higher recovery though.
            From what I gather from the Covaris site, the M machine needs no waiting time but perhaps operates at 20 degrees instead of seven degrees C.

Comment

I just bought the M220 and I'm very impressed with it so far. The cheaper price is what attracted me to it since it would have been very hard for our lab to afford the S series. The other advantage is the smaller bench footprint. There is only the instrument and no other chillers to take up space. The computer also fits on top of the instrument.

As far as I can tell, the M220 is just a smaller version of the S220. There is no chiller (you operate at 20 degrees) so there's no wait time. You use a whole lot less water as well. It's so extremely easy to set up and use compared to the S220 (and that one is pretty easy too). So far my results have been even more consistent and with tighter bands than when I used the S220. All in all, I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to any lab. I can't think of any reason to get the S220 over the M220 now that it's out.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses